We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about clothing etiquette within hotels and for kids

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Question about clothing etiquette within hotels and for kids

I would be grateful if anyone could advise me on whether the same rules of clothing etiquette apply when one is on the grounds of a Western-based hotel such as a Movenpick and/or within the walls of a lodge catering to Westerners. Do the same rules apply to children? I have an eight year old daughter and two boys, ten and five.

Many thanks. I hope to be able to contribute to this forum after our trip in March!

Jennifer

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about clothing etiquette within hotels and for kids

I;m not sure I understand your question. What kind of clothing etiquette are you referring to???

While staying at the Movenpick we dressed as we would at home (in the US).

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about clothing etiquette within hotels and for kids

Covering arms and legs, nape of the neck (for women), no décolletage, no tight clothing, no shorts or tank tops for men, etc.

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about clothing etiquette within hotels and for kids

Hi.

Just returned from a 5 day trip to Petra and Dead sea with my 12 year old daughter. In general, you wear what you want but to avoid stares, as a female, cover shoulders and thighs. In Petra, we wore t-shirts and 3/4 length trousers. As 2 females we aroused the same curiosity you would get in any country. We did see a few female non middle eastern tourists in short shorts and vest tops and they did look out of place and attracted a lot of attention. We covered up out of respect and topped up tans when we were at top hotel at Dead Sea, where you can wear anything. Your boys can wear what they want although out of the resorts most males wear trousers. Covering up with light clothing will probably protect you from the sun! Hope this has helped!

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about clothing etiquette within hotels and for kids

Hi.

Just returned from a 5 day trip to Petra and Dead sea with my 12 year old daughter. In general, you wear what you want but to avoid stares, as a female, cover shoulders and thighs. In Petra, we wore t-shirts and 3/4 length trousers. As 2 females we aroused the same curiosity you would get in any country. We did see a few female non middle eastern tourists in short shorts and vest tops and they did look out of place and attracted a lot of attention. We covered up out of respect and topped up tans when we were at top hotel at Dead Sea, where you can wear anything. Your boys can wear what they want although out of the resorts most males wear trousers. Covering up with light clothing will probably protect you from the sun! Hope this has helped!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about clothing etiquette within hotels and for kids

Unless you are visiting certain religious sites it is not necessary to cover shoulders or heads if you are a westerner.

We wore sleevelss tops whiile in Petra and bathing suits of course at the Dead Sea.

Just do not flaunt any parts of your body and you will be fine.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about clothing etiquette within hotels and for kids

Thanks very much!

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
789 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about clothing etiquette within hotels and for kids

Out of respect you will want to all dress modestly, but clearly you understand that. You will encounter tourists from other parts of the region within the hotel so the same rules should apply there for the same reason. Pools seem to be more relaxed since it is not easy for westerners to stay as covered there. Leave the bikinis home, but other than that you should be fine. We were in a public pool where a Muslim woman was swimming completely covered except for her face. Her estimated 10 year old daughter had shoulders and knees covered, her toddler was wearing a western style one piece baiting suit. The father and son had surf shirts and swim trunks on.

One other thing to note. None of the girls we saw were ever in pants or shorts. My daughter has short hair and wore pants, as a result I had minor misunderstandings with several washroom attendants who thought my "son" was too old to be in the ladies room.

London, United...
Level Contributor
412 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about clothing etiquette within hotels and for kids

I actually disagree with the last comment about clothing within hotels. Many people in Jordan are used to and expect to see Westerners in more casual clothing - this does not mean to say you should dress in tank tops and mini-skirts, however, there is absolutely no problem with shorts and t-shirts. Public pools maybe different, but for hotel pools I would say dress in the attire you would be used to (bikinis, board shorts or even speedos if that's your thing!)

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about clothing etiquette within hotels and for kids

I'm with NJ26 on this.

While we were in Jordan most Westerners were wearing shorts....NOT really short ones though...to the knee. Most of the Western women wore capris, or pants.

I would avoid a bikini though.

As I said before...as long as you don't flaunt certain body parts you will be fine. and your children most certainly can wear shorts and Tshirts.

Edited: 10 September 2011, 14:29
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about clothing etiquette within hotels and for kids

Thanks- I appreciate everyone's comments. Since we are going at the beginning of March and spending a fair bit of time in Dana and Wadi Rum, I expect that polar fleece might be the order of the day!

Get answers to your questions about Petra - Wadi Musa