We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Petra on Monday!!

San Diego
Level Contributor
49 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Petra on Monday!!

Hi Guys!

I'm going to Petra on Monday, then off to spend the next 2 weeks in Egypt. I've researched Egypt very thoroughly, but haven't done so much investigative research for Petra. We have our hotel and our transportation confirmed already (trans provided by hotel). The hotel is offering us a 4 hour private guided tour for 50JD for the four of us (Couple traveling with 2 teenagers). Unsure if anyone has any suggestions for us. We plan on arriving early in the am so the light is the most beautiful. We will be guided so we don't get lost etc. But do you know of a great guide who speaks English that can provide a nice tour for us? Any must sees there? I love photography, history, culture, etc. Kids may want to climb? Also, what about riding in on a camel, donkey etc? Recommendations on this? Seems sorta fun actually....What's your experience? Thanks for your help!! :)

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Petra on Monday!!

the guides in Petra do speak English,,,, it's a must,,,,,

riding camels and donkeys can be done, once you reach the "Treasury"..

the must sees that you can not avoid, are; the Siq, the Treasury, Roman theatre, the Tombs, Qaser Al-bint etc.....

for climbing with teenagers; try the High Place (The place of the high sacrifice)... my eldest did it at the age of 10 (without the donkey)....

have fun.....

ciao

A99

tc2
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Petra on Monday!!

Hi,

I went to Petra about a month ago, it was absolutely amazing - I can offer the following comments on the light and timings....

- plan to spend the whole day there, its a big site, there is lots to see

- We left our hotel at about 8am to make sure we got to see the Treasury in the best light. It gets the sun in the mornings. If you can talk to your guide the day before and arrange the best time to leave so you see it in the best light, that would be good.

- the morning is also the best time for the street of facades and the amphitheatre and the other sites in the area

- You could then do the climb to the High Sacrifice, back down and then stop for lunch (you will need a break between walking up to the High Sacrifice and then up to the monastery)

- I think the monastery is definitely worth a visit, but the best time for this is in the afternoon. The walk up will be in shadow, and the sun will light up the face of the monastery in the afternoons (take plenty of water, and enjoy a mint&lemon drink at the top)

- expansive views from "the end of the world", about 500m past the monastery

- you can do a donkey ride up, and this is an experience (not sure about it being pleasant, but it definitely was an experience), but most people seem to walk, and I think if you have an average level of fitness it won't be a problem.

Its winter and the sun will set earlier, so you will need to make sure you leave enough time to get down & do the walk out as its quite a trek.

Book a session in a hamman for afterwoods - about 6pm to ease those muscles.

I'm still processing my photos, but will post a link in the next day or so, so you can get a feel for the light.

Have fun, its an amazing place.

tc

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
791 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Petra on Monday!!

If they have seen the 2nd transformers movie they will want to climb up to the Monastery better known as the “Tomb of the Primes”. If they have not seen the movie, you still have time. If you are going for only one day you won't have time for both the Monastery and the High Place. Even without the movie reference I would vote for the Monastery. Do this in the afternoon to get some shade durring the climb. If you have a second day do the High Place early in the morning. FYI - You will drink a lot of water, the price goes up after you enter The Sig. By the time you reach the cafe near the Monastery you will pay 10X what you did in a shop outside the site.

VA
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Petra on Monday!!

hi how u doing im yazan from joradan artist tour in petra......

i did read your message & im so glad to help you in this matter ....

we have a guide he is experience in all sites in many sites in petra & jordan in general & speak English in fluently in addition ...we can help you about camel triking .....we will drive u to sites to live a Bedouin life & take amazing picture in a historical places then we drive to climbing .... and more...all of these in a special price & excellent quality ......& more

contact with us :

abdelazeez@jordanartisttours.com-info@jordanartisttours.com

www.jordanartisttours.com

mobile: +962 7777 64781

melbourne
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Petra on Monday!!

I am sad for you that you only have 4 hours at Petra, it takes about half an hour to get from the front gate to the Treasury and then you have another half hour to get back to the front gate. I suppose to save time you can always take a horse/carriage to the Treasury.

With the remaining 3 hours you would probably be best to concentrate on just going down the middle path. Enjoy some time admiring the Treasury, then as you move along you will see the amphithreatre. Due to your time restraints your best bet would be to detour up the path to the Royal Tombs, they are well worth a visit and you can go inside some of them.

Then take a few mins to refuel and have a mint tea and a snack in the cafe which is just about half way.

You may have time to go to the end where the walk to the Monestary starts and see the remains of The Great Temple,

I was there for three days am planning a return visit, it is a fascinating place.

Hope you enjoy your time there-don't try to do too much, just enjoy the things that take your interest - you won't be able to do it all in that time.

Odense
Level Contributor
386 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Petra on Monday!!

I suggest that you let the guide take you all the way inside Petra during the 4 hours and give you the explanations, and leave you there on your own to spend the rest of the day there.. You cannot get lost.

IMHO you don't even need a guide at all but can manage with a guide book.

7. Re: Going to Petra on Monday!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2012, 10:16