We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Petra in peak of summer

Which Petra - Wadi Musa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bradford
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Petra in peak of summer

I am visiting Jordan in July, when I assume the temperatures will be very high. I have 3 full days at Petra. I know that Petra involves a lot of walking around, possibly uphill, which would be hard in the peak of summer. Can somebody advice what would be the best way to spread my time over 3 days to cover all the important spots.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
789 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Petra in peak of summer

Plan to do the Monastery in the afternoon on one day and the place of high sacrifice in the morning on another day. You will have shade if you do it that way. These are the 2 big hikes and you would not want to do them in the same day. Return from the place of high sacrifice the back way, ask at the shop at the top but be nice or they won’t help (I don’t blame them). It is hot, but please dress with respect for the people of Jordan who you will encounter. We did this in August and survived, but drank gallons of water. The price at the shop just before you enter the Sig was comparable to in town, but after that the price climbs as you do.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 23:28
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,294 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Petra in peak of summer

Try to sign up fornthe nighttime turnoff the siq. Very beautiful with candles lining the route.

Dr. Z

Sorry about that....iPad acting up. Let me rewrite that.......

Try to sign up for the nighttime tour of the siq. Very beautiful with candles lining the route.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 04:51
Bradford
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Petra in peak of summer

Thanks for the replies.

travellingNYfamily- why do you suggest doing Monastery in the afternoon? I thought that is when the temperatures become really unbearable. I was thinking of starting off quite early in the morning- around 7 am ish and return by 1 pm. I heard that the main gate opens at 6 am and closes at around 5pm- so wouldn't it be better to set off early in the morning than in the afternoon? Please advise.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
789 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Petra in peak of summer

It is a matter of where the sun is. The route to the Monastery is in the shade in the afternoon. If you are prepared to get out that early and have 2 mornings that would work as well.

Bradford
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Petra in peak of summer

Thanks for that. I may plan to go to the monastery in the afternoon then

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Petra in peak of summer

When you buy wanter around noon, it's usually warm. The locals turn their generator when they close and start them back up when they open. I would buy water in town and freeze them over night.

7. Re: 3 days in Petra in peak of summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:17