We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alternative to walking at Petra

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
294 reviews
Save Topic
alternative to walking at Petra

My travel agent thinks I should do a 4 day Jordan tour after my Egypt tour. I have a walking disability, I can walk but prefer to rest on benches to regain my energy. I have heard there may be horse carts there. Question is , is it worthwhile going there given my scenario?

I would be interested to hear from other people who have a disability and went there. I have 2 artificial legs but do not use canes.

Coventry
Level Contributor
258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alternative to walking at Petra

The Horse Carts only take you through the Siq then once through by the treasury you could hire a donkey, horse or camel.

The site is huge and in reality you wouldn't get to see much of it as lots is going up and down steps, and it isn't smooth underfoot.

Also it is 50 jd to get in the site, then quite expensive for the carriage too (about 20-30jd I think) then what you can barter for your next mode of carriage. I guess you would have to work out if cost wise it is worth it or not.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alternative to walking at Petra

thanks for the input. Might forget about

thanks might have to forget about it

jordan

Petra
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alternative to walking at Petra

Hi,

Yes the downside will be that if you want to use a carriage, donkey, camel or horse it will cost you a fair amount extra on top of the 50 JOD entry fee. But then again it is an absolutely amazing site and if you can afford the extra cost I would definitely do it. Even if you won't make it up to the Monastery of the High Place of Sacrifice there's plenty to see down in the valley and there are many places where you can sit down, relax and have a cup of tea if you want.

There's 2 options for the carriages, for 20 JOD it will take you to the Treasury and back later in the day and for 40 JOD you will be taken to the restaurant / museum area and back. The downside to taking a carriage is that you won't be able to stop along the way and you will miss a lot because they tend to "fly" through the Siq.

Patricia (Petra B&B)

haysville,kansas
Level Contributor
325 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alternative to walking at Petra

Even if you are unable to do an indepth visit to Petra, you will be so glad you came to Jordan. You will still be able to enjoy a night in Wadi Rum and a visit to the Dead Sea, along with many other sites.

I went to Jordan this past March after a visit to Egypt and only allowed myself a few days. I enjoyed it so much, that I'm making planes to return this fall ,to see the many places I missed the first time.

Along with the many places to see, you will find the Jordian people to be a wonderful treat.

5. Re: alternative to walking at Petra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2014, 10:17