We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to organize my walks in Petra based on my schedule

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
334 reviews
Save Topic
How to organize my walks in Petra based on my schedule

Apologies for starting a new thread, but 2 other posters asked non-relevant questions in my last post and I felt it was better to start fresh.

Can you experts please tell me if the timing for these walks in Petra is feasible? On Day 1, I will have from approximately 2pm leaving the Movenpick Hotel until the park closes (4.5 hours?), and Day 2 from 7:30 am leaving hotel - 3pm back at Movenpick hotel (7.5 hrs). We need to take a taxi from our hotel by 3:30 latest as we need to be in Rum Village between 5 and 5:15.

Day 1 -

Leave hotel 2pm. Do Sig, Treasury, climb to High Palace Sacrafice. Walk down Wadi Farasi (by Lion Monument, Roman Soldier Tomb). Do I have time to climb down to Qasr al Bint and see that, the Arched Gate, the churches, Colonnades Street and walk back, or just head back by the theatre to the Siq and out? (If I have time to do them, I can cut them out from Day 2). Or do I do the Royal Tombs on the way out? Or do I not have any extra time?

Day 2 -

Leave hotel at 7:30. Sig - Treasury - Street of Facades - Theatre - Colonnaded Street - Arched Gate - Church - Winged Lion Temple - Qasr el Bint - Climb to monastery - veer off to climb to Lion Triclinium - Top of Monastery - End of World View - back down through Sig and to Movenpick by 3pm. And then I still need to fit in the Royal Tombs - how does that work? I have seen several posters say they have done all this AND the high palace sacrafice in 1 day, so I'm just trying to see where to add it.

We are fit people late 30's, and I don't believe its too hot in late March. I am an AVID photographer, but I will regret missing these sights if I don't see them. I would GREATLY appreciate any suggestions now that I know my exact timeframes.

Thanks!!!

Sandi

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to organize my walks in Petra based on my schedule

and sorry, I meant High Place Sacrafice.

Petra
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to organize my walks in Petra based on my schedule

It's nearly impossible to answer those questions, it usually takes me 4,5 to 5 hours to do Entrance - Siq- Treasury - High Place of Sacrifice - Wadi Farasa - entrance. But you might walk faster than I do and take less time taking pictures ... although I doubt that since it's your first visit :-) I think you will just have to see how far you get on day 1, if you have time left after Wadi Farasa you can visit the Royal Tombs on the way back. This takes a bit more time than the church, since at the church there are only the mosaics to see.

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Odense
Level Contributor
389 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to organize my walks in Petra based on my schedule

As Patricia said, it is impossible to tell, and IMHO quality is more important than quantity. If you concentrate your first day around the High Place of sacrifice and see how much time is left afterwards, you can pick up some additional sights.

Having a 2 days' ticket, it should be possible to enter at 7 or even earlier on the second day. The entrance opens before the tickets' sale.

Just remember that the way back through the siq is uphill and takes more time that the way in. Enjoy,- and take your time ;-)

London
Level Contributor
59 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to organize my walks in Petra based on my schedule

Hi! I was wondering if you have completed your trip and how you got on? What did you manage to see in the time you had?

My boyfriend and I will do a similar trip at the beginning of May so am wondering what we might be able to do.

Thanks!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to organize my walks in Petra based on my schedule

Yes, I have recently finished the trip. We had plenty of time to see everything, although our itinerary changed so we had a different time frame.

We entered the park at 7:45am on the first day, and there were already a significant number of people walking through the Siq. If you'd like more quiet or empty space for pictures, I'd suggest getting in at 7am.

We took our time through the Sig to enjoy it (its stunning), and then got to the Treasury at 9am. Decided to chill out and wait for it to be in full sun at 9:40am.

Started the climb to the High Place of Sacrifice around 10am, and it was a perfect time to go as the walk up is primarily in the shade. Took a tripod with me as well and had no problem walking. It was the easiest of the 3 big hikes we did. Walked down via Wadi Farasa, took a wrong turn (don't go left at the end of the tombs) but still managed to get to a lunch cafe by 12:30.

Climbed up to the Monastery at 1:30 and it was pretty hot and in the sun going up at that time, but we were ready to just do it. Didn't feel like waiting until 3pm. Although its long, its a pretty easy hike because there are level areas to walk in between the stairs. It was quite nice with nice views the whole way. Once at the monastery we continued on to the Top of the World overlooks, which I HIGHLY recommend. You get the view of the valley, plus you get the view back to the Monastery on the walk back. Then we hung out at the cafe with a view up there before we went down.

Got down to the street of facades around 5 and hung out down there for about 75 more minutes, looking at the Royal Tombs before we left at 6:15.

Day 2 we got in at 9:30 and did the Royal Tombs and the hike to see the Treasury from Above. THat was our favorite hike, and hardest. Very well marked straight up to the top of the mountain, just past the Palace Tomb, but its not called "Treasury View" or anything like that. Just steep steps up and up and up and up forever until you get to the top. Then you make a left going downhill before the tea shop, walk through a valley towards the red rocks, and climb over them to get to the Treasury viewpoint. Beautiful and peaceful if you are the only ones there. The return trip is the reverse of what you did. I think it took about 2.5 hours roundtrip from the Royal Tombs, but we sat for awhile up at the viewpoint.

Good luck!

London
Level Contributor
59 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to organize my walks in Petra based on my schedule

Thanks for the report! Sounds great.

7. Re: How to organize my walks in Petra based on my schedule

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2013, 16:06
Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to organize my walks in Petra based on my schedule

I'm also and avid photographer and will be taking my tripod and DSLR. Unfortuantely, I won't arrive until 11:00. Would I have time to do the "Treasury View" and to the Monastary? If I have to choose one, which should I do? Any need for a guide?

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
512 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to organize my walks in Petra based on my schedule

Great report. We are going to Petra next week and will use your report as our unofficial guide. It also gives us an excellent idea of time and distance.

Thanks

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How to organize my walks in Petra based on my schedule

Hi Winger67,

Welcome to Jordan!

Yes you will have enough time to see Treasury and Monastery, and from my experiences with my clients YES you need for a guide.

Enjoy

Jordan Beauty Tours

Get answers to your questions about Petra - Wadi Musa