We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petra with 90 year old

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
199 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Petra with 90 year old

Traveling to Israel in Nov. with my 90 year old mother-in-law. We have all been to Israel several times before, but not to Petra. She is mobile (uses cane to please us) and active, but still 90. Do you think we can do this? Recommendations for tour company, number of days, etc.

Abdullah Nawafleh - Private Guide
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Petra Nights Tours Jordan
Archaeology Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Jordan Horizons Tours Petra
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
Jordan Desert Hikes
Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Caverns & Caves, Eco Tours
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petra with 90 year old

She can do it Richmond, rent a horse cart and there you go all through Petra, About companies there are many of them . I'll msg you with a one .

Ahmad Atwah

Tour guide

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
287 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petra with 90 year old

Greetings from Amman !!

While visiting Petra you must know that there will be a lot of walking, the carriages in Petra are very expensive. And there is no way you can manage it in a wheelchair.

Mohannad Ali

Arab Tower hotel

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
9,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petra with 90 year old

I call on Patricia ( the local Belgium)to come and give some advice on this important subject.A horse and cart will help speed up along the route into the Siq.

I think she can do only main site like Treasury and just about??

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petra with 90 year old

It is doable but it will be very tiring for her. The ground isn't always great, hardly ever even and with soft sand in some places. The carriages normally take people from the entrance to the Treasury (2 km - 20 JOD) but you can definitely ask an exception to take her from the entrance to the restaurant / museum area (4 km - 40 JOD), you can arrange this when you buy your ticket. The downside of taking a carriage is that you miss so much, the drivers usually "fly" through the Siq and even if you can persuade / threaten him to walk you will still miss a lot since he won't stop anywhere. If it's possible for your mother-in-law to walk in at her own pace with a lot of stopping and resting along the way then I think this will be the best way to do it and then you can arrange a carriage to pick her up at the restaurant area to bring her back to the Entrance. Despite the fact that she only go one-way in the carriage the price will still be 40 JOD :-( buy the ticket in the morning at the ticket box and agree a pick-up time with the carriage driver. Climbing to any of the higher places such as the Monastery or the High Place of Sacrifice will be out of the question I'm afraid.

Have a great time in Jordan !

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Level Contributor
23 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petra with 90 year old

Thanks all for your comments.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
199 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petra with 90 year old

Thank you for all of the help. We decided that the trip, as a whole, to Israel and Petra, was going to be a little too much and will take a stateside 90th trip instead.

7. Re: Petra with 90 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 07:17