We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Petra closed today

Which Petra - Wadi Musa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Petra closed today

We are in Aqaba and had planned to go today but the road is closed. Will try tomorrow.

I

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Petra closed today

Yes still closed till moment, could be open any time , just select desert highway to Ma an then select Eneza bridge to Shoubak and Petra, don't select kings way and Rajef, I was in Petra yesterday went to Aqaba , I selected Rajef & Kings way , it was dangerous, & today it's worse . Enjoy

Wael Majdalawieh

Tour guide / the one jor - Private tours

orlando
Level Contributor
134 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Petra closed today

We are in Petra trying to get to Aqaba but are also stranded because if the road closure. It is snowing here in Petra and at times it is quite a bit if snow coming down. It's pretty but has really interfered with our plans to spend two nights at the Khaled camp in Wadi Rum. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and we will be able to get to Aqaba.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Petra closed today

Jacana

You're lucky to have the snow experience in Petra it's unique, stay a day more & then drive to Aqaba safe .

Enjoy

Wael Majdalawieh

Tour guide / The One .JOR - Private Tours

Petra
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Petra closed today

Hi Jacana,

Sorry to hear you're stranded here and that you're missing Wadi Rum because of the snow. But I guess that's winter, nothing we can do about it. It's just not safe, not even for a 4x4 to be on the road now. My husband is stuck in Wadi Rum with 2 of our horses waiting to come back home to Petra.

I'm sure Khaled understands that you can't make it to Wadi Rum, it happens every winter and as Wael says it's pretty unique to have this much snow in Petra. I've been looking at it all morning on the LiveCam: http://www.petralivecam.com/petra/cam2.jsp Enjoy !

Patricia (Petra B&B)

orlando
Level Contributor
134 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Petra closed today

We are making the best of it. We live in Florida so it's fun to see the snow. We are laughing about it as it us kind of funny to be in snow in Petra!

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Petra closed today

Ask your hotel in Petra to contact somebody like Ahmed Shaban who might be able to reach the Dead Sea Highway through Wadi Namla. You need somebody who knows the road and who has a 4x4 but it might work. Most of Wadi Namla is lower than the Taibeh road.

Ahmed's number is +962.777.728.767

Petra
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Petra closed today

Today the snow is melting so most roads should be fairly accessible, avoid driving at night though as melted snow will surely freeze over again.

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Petra closed today

In Amman most of the Roads blocked , they clean the main roads but it blocked again by snow

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road to Petra closed today

We just had our hotel in Aqaba call the police and as of 13:00 pm today the road is still closed and we are being advised to stay put.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road to Petra closed today

We just had our hotel in Aqaba call the police and as of 13:00 pm today the road is still closed and we are being advised to stay put.