We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petra to Amman/Allenby-King Hussein Bridge

Which Petra - Wadi Musa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Petra to Amman/Allenby-King Hussein Bridge

I'm visiting Israel in June, arriving at Tel Aviv Ben Gurion on a Sunday afternoon.

My plan is to take a one-way flight to Eilat, cross over into Jordan and stop overnight in Wadi Musa.

After two full days to explore Petra, I plan to cross back into Israel via Allenby-King Hussein Bridge, because I think it might be cheaper and quicker overall for reaching my next destination, Jerusalem.

How much will a taxi from Wadi Musa to Allenby-King Hussein Bridge cost me?

If I want to reach the border crossing soon after it opens (08:00), what time should I plan to leave Wadi Musa?

And how many JOD should I budget for two days in Petra?

I know the border crossing is a pain, so I plan to arrive early. I'd rather not face a return journey that involves Wadi Musa - Aqaba - Eilat - Tel Aviv - Jerusalem, when I could instead do Wadi Musa - Jerusalem instead.

Petra
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petra to Amman/Allenby-King Hussein Bridge

A taxi from Wadi Musa to the KHB would be around 70 or 80 JOD, transfer time is around 3,5 hours.

For Petra, your 2-day entry ticket costs 55 JOD. Then your food, it depends on what you want and which restaurant you choose but that will be between 5 and 20 JOD per meal. Inside Petra, drinks are quite expensive; 2 or 3 JOD for a soft drink, 2 JOD for a bottle of water, 6 or 7 JOD for a beer at Basin Restaurant, ...

Enjoy your time in Jordan !

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
7,524 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petra to Amman/Allenby-King Hussein Bridge

If you have not already booked air ticket .Consider fly in and out of Amman than TLV.

It can be cheaper and more convenient for transport and border cross

cheers

Raymond

Amman Pasha Hotel

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petra to Amman/Allenby-King Hussein Bridge

Thank you both.

I've booked my flights into and out of Tel Aviv, unfortunately, but thanks for the suggestion.

I heard I need to carry lots of water with me in Petra so maybe if I bought a large bottle in Wadi Musa?

Is it worth paying a little extra for the taxi to travel along the King's Highway?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
7,524 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petra to Amman/Allenby-King Hussein Bridge

Yes it is worth the extra money for a ride along the Kings Way,

plenty of stops little kiosk and cafes that sells water at Petra site.

cheers

Raymond

Amman Pasha Hotel

Petra
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petra to Amman/Allenby-King Hussein Bridge

It's always good to take a first bottle but as Raymond says there are plenty of places where you can buy drinks so you don't have to carry 3 bottles with you.

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Amman, Jordan
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Petra to Amman/Allenby-King Hussein Bridge

yes, it is better for you to travel from Allenby bridge than getting back to Eliat and you will save time & effort....

i suggest to you to book a car better than waiting a taxi and specially if the driver will negotiate you for the price around 10 minutes... minimum he will ask for 70-100 JD, but if you book through a travel agency prices are around 70-85 JD ( per car).

regarding water, you can buy it from any shop you find at the route :)

jordan
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Petra to Amman/Allenby-King Hussein Bridge

Hello

Before of everything

I recognize to you incase you didn't by ticket flight to eilat to cross through north crossing to stop in jerash then amman then over night petra next day free day in petra third day visit petra for 4 hours then through the kingsway stop at karak castle then continue to alinby through dead sea highway or if you buy already your flight ticket to eilat I can recognize another.amazing tour and send you full package cost

8. Re: Petra to Amman/Allenby-King Hussein Bridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 17:09
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Petra to Amman/Allenby-King Hussein Bridge

jasdev_sekhon,

I recommend you to get back to the Eilat/Aqaba border after your visit to Petra. This border crossing is very close to Petra, much closer than Allenby/King Hussein border.

From Eilat you can take a direct bus to Jerusalem, this bus goes through the Dead Sea. It's bus #444. This would be your simplest and quickest solution, and probably painless - the Eilat/Aqaba border is much more smooth than Allenby/King Hussein border.

When reserving the domestic flight in Israel, be sure to :

1) book a flight from Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion and not from Tel Aviv-Sde Dov.

2) The domestic flights from Ben Gurion int'l airport depart from terminal 1 while int'l flight are served in terminal 3. Therefore, upon arriving take the free airport shuttle to terminal 1. The airport shuttle stop at terminal 3 is outside exit 01 of the arrivals hall.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Petra to Amman/Allenby-King Hussein Bridge

Just for the sake of information, domestic flights to Eilat in Israel are operated by:

Israir - http://www.israirairlines.com/

Arkia - http://www.arkia.com