We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Seattle to Oaxaca

Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Seattle to Oaxaca

Hi folks, I'm moving to OAX from Seattle at the end of July or early August. My plan has been to come with only what will fit in and above a Nissan Murano. It will contain my entertainment system, art supplies, a good deal of photography equipment, basic tools, camping stuff and clothes. My fear is that I will appear like a mobile department store.

The route I was thinking of is south to La Paz, ferry to Mazatlan, to DF, and to OAX.

My question is, if I take only toll roads and stay in hotels with secure parking, will I be essentially safe and secure? If not, can you suggest alternatives?

Thanks!

Brian

Tierraventura Ecoturismo  Day Tours
Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Zapotrek Hike and Bike
Bike Tours, Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Go Well Tours
Walking Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Rancho Buenavista
Climbing Tours, Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Tijuana, Mexico
Level Contributor
23 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Seattle to Oaxaca

Hi Biran

I not recoment that you make that trip by car, first, you have to cross the border, you have to declare all you stuff, and you have to pay very high taxes,and then the toll roads maybe are not so cheap, and if you dont speak spanish maybe can be some trouble, because you can find in the road some military cheks, and they are goig to aks about you trip and all your stuff in your car, etc, i suggest if that you do the trip, don´t do it alone, and maybe with someone who speak Spanish, and do a research on the hotels, etc

JL

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Seattle to Oaxaca

Hi Brian:

Since you are moving, I'm guessing that you've already applied for your Residente Temporal. If that's the case, (which it should be), then you may not have to pay taxes on your goods, check with the consulate when you apply for your RT. Otherwise, here's a list of what's duty free: …sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/…139_10210.html

As far anything not exempt, you may declare it at garage sale type prices to minimize the duty.

As far as your route, be aware that while you do not need a car permit to enter Baja, you will need one everywhere else you're going. The price varies according to the age of you car, it can be up to $400. If you're planning to stay in Mexico, eventually you'll need a car with Mexican plates. If your Nissan is NAFTA, (built in the US, MX, or Canada, not Japan) you can nationalize it later if you plan to keep it.

Regarding your route, if safety is a concern, you may want to consider staying on the US side as long as you can and enter at Laredo. From Laredo, it's 2 days to Oaxaca on a well-traveled, safe highway. There are any number of hotels with secure parking in San Luis Potosi, San Miguel de Allende, or Queretaro along your route, and that route would not really be appreciably farther. I would not recommend driving in DF. There are better alternatives.

3. Re: Driving Seattle to Oaxaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Southern Mexico