We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi to Ol Pejeta?

West Midlands
Level Contributor
110 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Nairobi to Ol Pejeta?

Could you let me know how viable a road trip will be, leaving Nairobi about 2pm? I am concerned that we may be arriving when it is dark to an area we do not know. How long will the trip take realistically?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi to Ol Pejeta?

I would not recommend leaving for any trip up-country in the afternoon and definitely not driving in the dark; if you don't know where you're going you could end up very stuck as there are few to no road signs here and those that do exist are often misleading.

Better and safer to leave in the morning, take your time and enjoy the trip.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nairobi to Ol Pejeta?

But to be fair, this is a very straightforward trip of 4/5 hours. Assuming you have a booking at one of the Ol Pejeta camps/lodges, then even if you arrive after dark (6.30pm), I think someone from the camp would be at the conservancy gate to guide you in. Call ahead to ensure they are.

Richard

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nairobi to Ol Pejeta?

As always, I can never resist thinking outside the box......

Have you ever considered flying into Nanyuki? Costs around £60 from Wilson with 540, it’s not that far from the OlP from the Airfield and you’ll be there well before dark!

If you must drive, Richard’s advice holds good. The route is simple, though you will need guidance from the gate.

You really don't want to stay in Nairobi if you can avoid it, there is precious little to do in the evenings, that you have not done or seen before.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nairobi to Ol Pejeta?

Hey there,

Sorry if this question is a bit silly but can you recommend driving in Kenya? I have driven in various places around the world but not sure about Kenay as I have heard mixed accounts.

Just want to be sure.

Thank you in advance,

Kimmo

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nairobi to Ol Pejeta?

PS. Is it really 4-5 hours drive to the Ol Pejeta Sanctuary?

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nairobi to Ol Pejeta?

I t also depends from where you are starting in Nairobi but 4 -5 hours is a good guideline . in practice you will probably be a bit quicker but it is always good to keep a decent buffer. If you are not familiar with that road I would not leave after 12. So that you will have an arrivival time maybe around 4 and you have a buffer of 2 -3 hours before dark. The road itself is easy enough, not much risk to get lost.. When you pass the Nanyuki Airport just after 3 -4 km there is a big sign Sweetwaters and you turn left. From there all the way to the conservancy ( about 15 kms) there are signs at very regular intervals. If you want to make your life easy take a flight like GJGB suggests

Edited: 10 August 2012, 15:03
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nairobi to Ol Pejeta?

Hey Eugene,

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

We will be driving from the Nairobi international airport. Some guides say it is a 3 hours drive to Ol Pejeta from the airport. I thought that it will be appropriate to add a couple of reality hours into that.

Cheers,

Kimmo

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nairobi to Ol Pejeta?

Kimmo, get onto Google Maps/Google Earth and look at the route that bypasses Nairobi completely, using Airport Road North and the Eastern Bypass, joining the A2 "Thika Superhighway" at Ruiru. All fast tarmac - I did this route in May

If you've got a satnav or smartphone, then it's a straightforward route, and you might get to Nanyuki in 3hrs without stopping, but realistically, you should allow at least 4hrs.

At least you don't need to go into Nairobi!

Richard

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nairobi to Ol Pejeta?

Thank you Richard, will do. I will get a Sat Nav to make it a bit smoother.

Cheers, Kimmo

Dubai, United Arab...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Nairobi to Ol Pejeta?

Kimmo,

Did you already do this trip? How was the road like and how many hours did you take to get there? Did you drive on your own? We are considering two nights to the Ol Pejeta with an onward trip to Samburu.

thank you.

Get answers to your questions about Mount Kenya National...