We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Elephants Killed in Mount Kenya

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Four Elephants Killed in Mount Kenya

Yet more poaching - this time in Mount Kenya:

allafrica.com/stories/201206201133.html

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Elephants Killed in Mount Kenya

Wrong Wrong Wrong!!!

Unfortunately well connected people are usually involved, and cannot be touched.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Elephants Killed in Mount Kenya

it makes my blood boil and sadly we know who the culprits are ................

LA
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Elephants Killed in Mount Kenya

and who exactly are the culprits ???

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Elephants Killed in Mount Kenya

Tere are some very emotive comments re this and the lions killed on the Kenyans for Wildlife page on Facebook. It really breaks my heart that these wonderful creatures have been butchered, simply for being alive and doing what comes naturally.

The animals were here first........

LA
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Elephants Killed in Mount Kenya

This is very unfortunate ... but it is driven by the trade in ivory and rhino horns. And these products are typically exported to Asia. This is an individual incident, and is probably the work of a specific gang of poachers. The Kenya Wildlife Service does have a very good anti-poaching unit, and there's a pretty good chance they can track down the people involved. Let's hope so. Ultimately part of the blame for these incidents has to lie with consumers in foreign markets who keep buying the animal products.

kenya
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Four Elephants Killed in Mount Kenya

The pictures of these dead Lions are hurting and am sick about this.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four Elephants Killed in Mount Kenya

"This is an individual incident, and is probably the work of a specific gang of poachers"

No, it's not an individual or isolated incident. Poaching, all over sub-Saharan Africa and not just Kenya, has soared to levels far higher than it ever was during the Mau Mau or any time since. There's publicity about this all over the place.

LA
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four Elephants Killed in Mount Kenya

I think you misunderstood the intention of my comment. Probably some of the local implications got lost. I'm not saying that poaching is restricted to one incident - it's obviously widespread. It is linked to the prevalence of powerful weapons across E Africa, the growth of criminal gangs (with violence and sophistication), and this annoying demand for animal products in Asia.

However, earlier comments on this thread had implications in terms of native Kenyans, and who lives where in the country. So my comments were that this is not likely to be caused by Kikuyu's as a whole, even though this is close to their territory. But more likely caused by a specific poaching gang. That's all.

9. Re: Four Elephants Killed in Mount Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Mount Kenya National...