We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

Has any body heard of how far the ORTPN has gone with the issue of increasing the prices for Rwanda gorilla permits for July 2012 onwards to US$ 750 ?

Well, A friend of mine from Australia wanted to purchase gorilla permits for July 2012 and though there was availability , his money was rejected and he was told the Starting July , permits MAY cost US$ 750 .

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

I'd heard a rumour about a price increase. I went into UWA and they said, this should not happen as there is a tri-partite agreement on the cost which is levied as you know, at $500.

I referred someone to the Rwandan office here, on another post, and they confirmed $500, with no increases set.

Was your friend using an agency, or booking direct? Did you post this question in the Rwandan forum?

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

It is Rwanda . He went to ORTPN to purchase permits for his friends visiting him in Summer after his contract to do a short Rwanda gorilla tour .

For Uganda , I haven't heard of this . It is only Rwanda . I posted the question in both forums because it is common that some of the two countries' tour operators offer packages for both countries.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

I don't understand what you mean.

I meant, I heard a rumour (from my daughter) that Rwanda were increasing their rates, and asked UWA if they'd heard anything. They said the Rwandan office should not be able to do this because of their 3-way agreement on the rate.

Someone on this forum, emailed the Rwandan office, and they said there were no price increases.

So who knows?

Your posts are a bit confusing, you said that someone tried to wire money from Oz, then someone local went in to the office locally?

Edited: 25 January 2012, 15:52
Kampala
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

I heard the rumor last year about the hiking of the gorilla permits.

750$ is alot of money compared to Uganda's 500$ for high season and 350$ for low season for some gorilla families.

Why such a big increament yet all the gorillas are the same?????????

Uganda, Rwanda and DR Congo are suppossed to agree on a uniform price for the gorilla permits.

Well let us wait and see.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

As I said!! A tri-partite agreement.

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

It is because of the tri-partite agreement that I was forced to post this to the Uganda forum too.

Actually , it is more confusing to know that permits for East African Residents have different prices in the 3 countries ,yet , the agreement states that all permits must have the same rates in their categories.

Rwanda permits costs US$ 300 for E.A residents Vs US$475 for E.A residents tracking gorillas in Uganda .

So I believe that somehow some where this friend of mine was right .

He was tossed and told to kindly hold yet he had called and been told that the permits were available for the dates he wanted and around 60 were available .

Another person just spoke to one reservations officer of a prominent tour company in Rwanda and it is the same information that she got .

We have been told that tour operators have been given time to agree on whether the rates should increase or not before the ultimatum .

More to this, on several ocassiona, clients from different companies from Uganda have been bounced back from the Uganda - Rwanda border for not having visa confirmation letters for Rwanda visas even when they have gorilla permits for Rwanda . So I wonder whether this is also in the tri-partrite because in Uganda , provided a tourist has visa fees, they can cross the border without any paper work .

So this makes me feel like Alice in Wonderland.

Fore-warned, fore-armed.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 16:16
UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

It is because of the tri-partite agreement that I was forced to post this to the Uganda forum too.

Actually , it is more confusing to know that permits for East African Residents have different prices in the 3 countries ,yet , the agreement states that all permits must have the same rates in their categories.

Rwanda permits costs US$ 300 for E.A residents Vs US$475 for E.A residents tracking gorillas in Uganda .

So I believe that somehow some where this friend of mine was right .

He was tossed and told to kindly hold yet he had called and been told that the permits were available for the dates he wanted and around 60 were available .

Another person just spoke to one reservations officer of a prominent tour company in Rwanda and it is the same information that she got .

We have been told that tour operators have been given time to agree on whether the rates should increase or not before the ultimatum .

More to this, on several ocassions, clients from different companies from Uganda have been bounced back from the Uganda - Rwanda border for not having visa confirmation letters for Rwanda visas even when they have gorilla permits for Rwanda . So I wonder whether this is also in the tri-partrite because in Uganda , provided a tourist has visa fees, they can cross the border without any paper work .

So this makes me feel like Alice in Wonderland.

Fore-warned, fore-armed.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 16:17
QENP
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

This was posted last night by the RNA (Rwanda News Agency):

Gorilla permit prices increased 50 % amid high demand

Kigali, January 26 (RNA) – The amount of money paid by people seeking to have a rare view of the mountain gorillas has gone up – in a new scheme where new services for VIP tourists have been introduced allowing them “exclusive” treatment, RNA reports.

For foreigners, prices go up from US$500 to US$750, as for foreigners living in Rwanda, they will be pay US$375 – up from US$250. Rwandan will now pay Rwf 30,000 – up from 20,000.

This means the prices have been increased by 50% and this will take effect from June 1st, 2012 save for prior booking made before this date.

“This increase comes at a time when there is significant growth of the gorilla population as well as an increasing demand for gorilla tourism,” said Rwanda Development Board CEO John Gara.

“This means that there is need to continue channeling all our efforts in conservation in order to protect their environment as well as the rare species.”

Today, there are ten gorilla groups which accommodate up to eight tourists per day each, a number that has almost doubled over the last five years.

A new service has been introduced to cater high end clients called the VIP special group package, where a group of tourists can book a gorilla group exclusively with customized services to the cost of USD 10, 000 per group.

For tourists who had already booked before the announcement, the head of Tourism and Conservation at RDB, Rica Rwigamba, explained; “Those that have booked but have not made full payment will not be affected only if they make full payments by March 15th, 2012. This is to allow tourists who are planning to trek gorillas and who have already booked the permit not to be interrupted.”(End).

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

Thanks Katara . I knew it was true . What is your source of this information ? I can see you are putting quotes in some of your writings but you are not revealing the source.

By the way , the Australian friend of mine that gave me this information is surely reliable and besides , he was trying to book permits for Rwanda for himself and freinds who intend to visit her .

I do not think Rwanda follows the tri-partite treaty as Shelly says .

Edited: 27 January 2012, 07:00
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

We're trekking in Rwanda on 1st June so thank goodness we have already paid for our permits!

I know the rise has been rumoured on this forum for a long time but that is one heck of a hike:( Some people may think twice - I don't think we would do two treks at that price...

Get answers to your questions about Bwindi Impenetrable...