We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buhoma lodge vs lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill for teenagers?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Buhoma lodge vs lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill for teenagers?

Thank you in advance !! I have narrowed my choices down to Buhoma Lodge and Chameleon based on price for two nights. Which would be more fun for kids ages 13 and 16? The younger one (son ) is a foodie ! The more cool bugs or animals around the better.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buhoma lodge vs lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill for teenagers?

First I must check that you know the two lodges are many kilometres apart. About a six hour drive. So please, if you are Gorilla Trekking do make sure you pick the lodge convenient for the group you have permits for.

If that is not a deciding factor then I would take Chameleon for the views and location. Lots there for kids to do.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buhoma lodge vs lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill for teenagers?

Thank you so much for that piece of information !

Is there a way to fly from the Buhoma /Bwindi area to Jinja ? We are doing volunteer work near Mbale and I think that is closet airstrip.

Also we have four days before we are scheduled to be near Mbale.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buhoma lodge vs lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill for teenagers?

I think there are flights to Kisoro from EBB now. his would put you half an hour from Chameleon.You can certainly charter. Nearest strip to Buhoma area is Ishasha in QENP about two hours drive to Buhoma.

I don't know of any services east of EBB but there may be some.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buhoma lodge vs lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill for teenagers?

chameleon hill is better..

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buhoma lodge vs lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill for teenagers?

Thank you so much for your help! We are meeting a friend in buhoma so we have to go there. If we decide to drive to buhoma and not fly from EBB where can we stay overnight to break up the trip? Ideally four hours from EBB. We will only be there for dinner and sleep then to continue onto Buhoma ? We won't have time to appreciate a lodge type experience. I plan on studying all your suggestions from previous trip advisor reports on Tanzania tonight !

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buhoma lodge vs lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill for teenagers?

Agip or any other reasonable place in Mbarara would break the journey. Search Mbarara under reviews. Ignore suggestions to go into Lake Mburu NP!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buhoma lodge vs lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill for teenagers?

Is this the best itinerary :

Day 1 land in ebb and drive to mbarara stay at agip

Day 2 and 3 drive and spend two nights at buhoma lodge for gorilla trek and Batwa experience

Day 4 open

Day 5 jinja white water rafting

Day 5 mbale for volunteering

On day four do we stay in buhoma ? Fly to kampala after the Batwa experience or is it too late ?

Edited: 25 January 2014, 03:46
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buhoma lodge vs lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill for teenagers?

Day 2 will be a transfer day from Mbarara to Buhoma.

Day 3 will be Gorillas. Do not plan any other activity that day.

I would drop the BaTwa experience altogether. This is not a Zoo, these are human beings..

Day 4 will be taken up by the drive back from Buhoma to Jinja.

Overall given your short time allowed this is not a 'bad' Itinerary. Too rushed to qualify as good.

You have got two Day 5s as it is. You mean Day 6 of course for Mbeya.

Edited: 25 January 2014, 10:57
Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buhoma lodge vs lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill for teenagers?

Just wondering why you suggested skipping LAKE MBURU N.P.!!! I was planning on breaking my journey from Entebbe to Kibale at Lake Mburu N.P.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buhoma lodge vs lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill for teenagers?

We can fly back from bwindi to kampala and drive to jinja in the same day correct ? Then spend two nights in jinja before going to mbale.

Haha and yes I didn't count correctly that was day six .

And sorry , I didn't mean to be offensive by including the Batwa experience. I would never imply that is was a zoo.