We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

temperatures in April and how cold on the gorilla trek

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
temperatures in April and how cold on the gorilla trek

I will be doing a gorilla trek in early April in Bwindi. The tour company recommends a rain jacket/poncho, long sleeve shirt, long pants, etc. which I am familiar with having done a chimp trek last year. They also recommend a sweater or fleece for the evenings as the mountains areas are chilly. My question is whether I would need a sweater or something warmer on the trek? Just curious about how much layering I should plan on.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: temperatures in April and how cold on the gorilla trek

You need a rain coat , Trousers and a Jacket during the gorilla trek Tour. Bwindi forest normally receives abrupt down pours and gets very cold at night.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: temperatures in April and how cold on the gorilla trek

You will be very warm on the actual treks. Down to T shirts but do take along a rainproof outer layer.

Some folks feel that Bwindi can be cold but I would use the term Cool. Cold is when it snows!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: temperatures in April and how cold on the gorilla trek

Thanks for the info. I figured that I'd be relatively comfortable/warm during the actual trek, esp. if I have a waterproof layer on top. I don't care how breathable they say those rain jackets are - they tend to still have a bit of a sauna effect. And cold is certainly relative - I live in Florida so cool often equates to cold for me.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: temperatures in April and how cold on the gorilla trek

Indeed, I was out if town overnight and woke up freezing!

5. Re: temperatures in April and how cold on the gorilla trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 09:05
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: temperatures in April and how cold on the gorilla trek

I'm not sure this is the best forum in which to post your concerns. I suspect you will be reported on one of the threads and the message will be deleted.

I deplore this action by the President of Uganda but am still going forward with my trip. I do volunteer work in Uganda with street kids and other at-risk youth groups. Yes I take some time to do tourist things but I will not disappoint or punish the groups I serve because of this.

Kampala, Uganda
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: temperatures in April and how cold on the gorilla trek

In agreement with Nfuwe, Cold in Africa translates to cool for Europe, he he , all the best

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: temperatures in April and how cold on the gorilla trek

I agree with you Kitty,

These groups of people are vulnerable and did not contribute to the decision making of the president.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: temperatures in April and how cold on the gorilla trek

I would love to do the trek in April too but having problems joining a tour group! I will be in Uganda from 15/4/14 until 8/5/14. I wonder whether you would be kind enough to put me in touch with your tour group to see whether there could be a possibility if I could join your group? I am a solo traveller and have had no success with getting on to a tour group. Many thanks

Priya

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: temperatures in April and how cold on the gorilla trek

Priya, I will be back in the states by April 15. And I am doing a private tour arranged through Pearl of Africa tours. Yes, I'll join others for the gorilla tracking but my transport between Bwindi & Kampala/Entebbe is all private. Sorry I can't help you or give you other advice.