We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from delhi to dharamsala

Which Dharamsala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
1 post
Save Topic
travel from delhi to dharamsala

Hi,

I would like some advice on the best way to get from Delhi to Dharamsala, I will be travelling in September and will be staying for 4-5w to do some voluntary work. I have looked for flights but the prices on the web are a lot more expensive than expected, if I book locally would I get a better price? I have had a much cheaper quote from an Indian Agent. Bearing in mind I am a single female traveler what would be your recommended way to travel? Bus? Train? or flying? I could do with some independent advice from other travelers, because I am getting very confused. Thanks

new delhi
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from delhi to dharamsala

Hi,

Me and my friends are travelling tomorrow for almost a week so I shall share the experience once we are back. There is only one flight operator running flights to dharamshala that is why the prices are high and shall remain that way. If you are travelling from Delhi, you have the option of a taking a luxury ac volvo coach which directly reaches dharamshala in 14 hours. For a female traveller alone, i wouldnt recommend train. also if you can afford it by air then nothing better.

Jaipur in India
Level Contributor
476 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from delhi to dharamsala

You can board the train from delhi to Pathankot. Pathankot is 90 KM from Dharamshala and it is the second nearest train station. the first is Kangra Mandir but very few trains stop their. for train details visit indianrail.gov.in/between_Imp_Stations.html

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from delhi to dharamsala

Hi,

You are right. Flight prices are usually high between delhi & dharamsala. Alternatively you can book a flight to Pathankot, which is usually much lower priced. You can take a taxi & reach d/sala in 2 hours.

Another option is to take a bus from delhi. there are some luxury ac buses, which take 11-12 hrs from delhi. Best is volvo bus run by HRTC

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from delhi to dharamsala

Agreed with #2 or by over-night long-haul bus at Majnu Ka Tila, Delhi.

I'll there in Sep too. My itinerary are;

Delhi airport- Amritsar (by long-haul bus) or by night train in Delhi.

Stay 2-3D in Amritsar.

Amritsar- Dharamsala (by bus @ 12:30) or by bus to Pathankot (@08:00) then connect bus to Dharamsala. I'll arrive in McLeod Ganj at 15:00hrs.

If u take day-train to Pathankot (train#4037), you'll arrive at 18:00 & most likely need to stay 1-night at Pathankot.

FYI.

mcleodganj
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from delhi to dharamsala

Hi

I live in Mcleodganj ,Dharamshala only. Travel by bus is the most cheaper and convenient way to travel to Dharamshala. I often go to Delhi and i,ll always prefer to go by Bus. The main bus operators are Volvo A/c coach by HPTC Rs 950/person, BEDI Travels operates buses from Delhi everyday.App.@Rs 500/person. If you travel in the night time ,it is very convenient. You ,ll not feel the long journey.

You can also check with the Taxi operators who can give you a great deal as the Taxis which goes to Delhi have to come back and most of the time they take people on a very discounted prices.

regards

Raman

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from delhi to dharamsala

If you are willing to spend Rs. 2000 + train tickets around 700 for 3 tier ac USE overnight train from Delhi to Pathankot, then taxi from Pathankot to Mcleodganj. if you want to bring your budget lower then bus is best which runs on daily basis, keep in mind deluxe bus has 2 x 2 seats and have less leg space.

Dawanti

Delhi
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from delhi to dharamsala

hi,

would like to suggest that the best way to reach to Dharamshal from Delhi is from Deluxe Coach Bus fro which you need to go to ISBT,

Beleive me it is more comfortable by paying lesser as compare to Airtickets.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,848 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from delhi to dharamsala

4033 JAMMU MAIL 20:20 06:50 M T W TH F S SU

4035 DAULADHAR EXP 22:10 07:55 M - W - F - -

8101 TATA JAT EXP 21:15 10:40 M T W TH F S SU

These are the trains from Delhi to Dharmsala, see if any of those are suitable for you.

9. Re: travel from delhi to dharamsala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2011, 05:17