We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half a day in Hampi

Chicago IL
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Half a day in Hampi

We are going to Hampi on Sunday January 3 (arrving at 1PM), and our return train to Goa is at 6:00 AM on Monday January 4, 2010. This gives us half a day in Hospet/Hampi. What is the best way to get a guided tour and hotel? I know this is a short trip, but this is all we could squeeze into our Goa trip. We already have train reservations from Goa to Hospet. Is there any place at Margaon train station to leave our luggage? We are checking out of one hotel on January 3, and going to a different hotel on January 4 upon our return to Goa.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,607 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half a day in Hampi

At Margaon you may keep your luggage in cloak room. It should be pad locked.

St-lambert
Level Contributor
890 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half a day in Hampi

Hello

Well small world, me too I'm taking the train from Vasco da gamma train station to Hampi train#8048, on Jan 03. If you hear a french Canadien accent then it will be me.

Au Revoir

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half a day in Hampi

The two decent hotels in Hospet are Hotel Malligi and Krishna Palace (which is new, but my local contact says it is good). You can ask the hotel to arrange pickup from the train station, and car at disposal for sightseeing. In such a short time, it is better to have a car that you can take to drive around and see the main sights. We found that in 4 hours, we could accomplish a lot, and see many of the major sights. We did miss a few. The car driver can help find a guide, we found one in Hampi, he was not one of these really knowledgeable people, but he was just one of these guys that hang around. Still we took him because it would save us the time to figure out where to go.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half a day in Hampi

Keep in mind that in winter it will start to get dark early, so try and get started asap. The two sites that one needs to visit are a bit apart so one needs to factor that in. Assuming that you arrival point is Bellary, the heritage sites in Hampi are about 15 minutes or so away. Getting hold of a decent guide, in my view is mandatory, to get the full flavour.

5. Re: Half a day in Hampi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2010, 07:23
Get answers to your questions about Hampi