We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mumbai to Hampi by road

mumbai,India
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Mumbai to Hampi by road

Dear all,

I plan to take a road trip from Mumbai to Hampi..If westart early morn by 4.30 am taking

the pune Expressway then NH4 to Hubli via kolhapur & Belgaum what time should it take to reach Hampi considering total 750 KM ? Google map says 11 to 12 Hrs...Isit advisable to break the journey ? Then what would be the best location to stay overnight ?..I will be staying at Sloth Bear resort operated by Jungle lodges of Karnataka tourism.

Jatin Shah

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mumbai to Hampi by road

The private Volvo buses take about 14 hours ( overnight) for the same route. Belgaum may be an appropriate place to break your journey.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mumbai to Hampi by road

I would not recommend doing this in one day. Kolhapur is almost midway and you can break there. You will get decent hotels in Kolhapur and it also has some important temples to visit. http://www.kolhapurtourism.org/ Don't forget to eat Kolhapuri Misal.

As Prem says, Belgaum is also an option, but Kolhapur is easier as it breaks the drive better.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 03:59
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mumbai to Hampi by road

Ten unique things to do in Kolhapur: kolhapurtourism.org/ten-unique-things-do-in-…

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Madikeri, Karnataka
Level Contributor
4,011 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mumbai to Hampi by road

Hi,

It is advisable to take a break,preferably in Kolhapur.From Kolhapur,you have the option of driving thru Chikkodi/Gokak to Patadakkal & to Hampi without passing through Belgaum.This is shorter & roads are motorable too,although not as excellent as the NH.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mumbai to Hampi by road

Hi,

I am also planning to do the route sometime in Jan or Feb.

I have planned like this -

Mumbai to Bijapur - start early morning around 6 a.m. sharp and reach there by 3 or 4 p.m.

Get a hotel, Visit to Golgumbaj and any other local sight seeing of interest and the local bazar etc

Next day morning reach Aihole and by noon to Badami. Stay at Badami

Third day reach Hampi, stay there for 2 nights and while returning you can come by Belgaum, Kolhapur Pune route.

However, that is longer route. You can come back via Bijapur also.

Sanjiv

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mumbai to Hampi by road

Please add Pattadkal also after Aihole.

These places are must see with Hampi.

Sanjiv

Mumbai...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Mumbai to Hampi by road

So, did you manage to do the Road Trip in a day's time from Mumbai to Hampi?

To break the journey, one recommendation is to try The Hermitage near Belgaum - http://www.thehermitageguesthouse.com/.

I am planning one in the mid of October. Hoping the weather to be pleasant enough.

Gurgaon, India
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mumbai to Hampi by road

hi, I would like to go to Hampi from Delhi in Dec.

1.Is this a good time?

2. What is the best way to get there? I can travel air/train car..but would like to be safe and comfortable.

3.How many days should I plan in Hampi..and where should I stay...Once again safe and comfortable

Thank You Kamal Kapur.

Mumbai (Bombay...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mumbai to Hampi by road

Hi,

I am planning to drive to Hampi from Mumbai in the week of 09 to 13 December; a few questions. We plan to start on 07 December and reach late in the evening the next day; do not want to rush since we're going out for a holiday.

1. I will be accompanying my mother and wife and hence are the roads safe to drive? Of course, I will restrict myself to day driving, 5 am to 6 pm in the evening

2. Which route is the best and most convenient to drive?

3. Where should we break for the evening enroute to Hampi? Kolhapur? Belgaum?

4. Is it better to stay at Hubli/Bellary and visit Hampi?

5. We're pure vegetarians (my mom eats a no-onion-no-garlic meal) and hence will the veg food availability be a problem?

6. Which places are the best? I saw Hyatt and Taj have their hotels around Hampi; is it convenient to stay there?

7. Anything specific that needs to be borne in mind during the trip driving and/or stay?

Thanks much in advance!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
4 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mumbai to Hampi by road

I am planning to do something similar. Either a Mumbai-Goa-Hampi road trip or a direct Mumbai-Hampi trip. I would not be breaking journey at any place (except for the lunch and tea breaks). How is the road condition, if i am to take the direct Mumbai-Hampi route?