We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking/Hiking Seefeld area

Scotland
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Walking/Hiking Seefeld area

We are considering Seefeld in early September for a walking holiday. We have been to various towns in Austria previously and wonder how the walking in Seefeld compares with the likes of Mayrhofen? Our favourite place so far was Selva Val Gardena in the Dolomites in Italy - lots of walks using the cable cars to gain access to higher levels for good hiking. Is this available in Seefeld? I have read that a lot of walking in the Seefeld area is through woods which rather puts me off. I would be grateful to get any comments to help me decide if Seefeld is for us.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking/Hiking Seefeld area

We have walked extensively in Seefeld and Mayrhofen. Yes, there are many wooded areas in Seefeld and they are lovely. There are two lifts there. The Gschwandtkopf is the shorter lift and has wonderful views of the Inn Valley. You can ride up and then have a couple of options of returning down. The Roshutte is higher and you will view wonderful mountain peaks. They have a wonderful path back to town.

A very short distance away in the town of Sharnitz, ( go by train or car) is the Karwendel range. There are wonderful mountain climbs there and one will take you over into Mittenwald, Germany.

Mayrhofen has beautiful trails also. From Penkenbahn and Ahornbahn summit stations there are numerous mountain and high altitude hikes. or take the bus to Hintertux Glacier and enjoy the high trails there. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Scotland
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking/Hiking Seefeld area

Hi

Thank you so much for your reply. We have already been to Mayrhofen and enjoyed all the walking there - that is why I was wondering how the walking in Seefeld compared to Mayrhofen. Would you say Seefeld is as good? You mention walking from the town of Sharnitz. We will not have a car is it accessible by local bus as well as train? Did you buy a map of that area from the tourist office in Seefeld? Thank you for your help.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking/Hiking Seefeld area

I would say that the Gschwandtkopf is not as high as the Roshutte or the Karwendel Range. The Karwendel Range reminds me more of Mayrhofen with the valleys and the high mountains all around. You see the Karwendel Range from the top of the Roshutte. We love Seefeld and it's very beautiful with a wide variety of activities and scenery.

You get the train from center of Seefeld to Scharnitz - very quick - about 10 minutes. Then from Scharnitz you walk south a short distance and the entrance to the range is on the left. It starts out as a lovely valley with a few nice guest homes and restaurant or two and then the path takes you high into the mountains.

The tourist office in Seefeld has an excellent hiking map of the region and it should include the Karwendel Range.

E-Mail: info.scharnitz@seefeld.com

WWW: http://www.tiscover.at/scharnitz

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking/Hiking Seefeld area

You can also get the bus to Sharnitz - if you get a guest card from your hotel you can get bus travel for the whole of your holiday for 12 euro each - great value - though you have to pay 1.90 extra for each trip to or from Mittenwald or Telfs. We walked to Scharnitz along the valley bottom which was very pleasant. \the Karwendal range certainly looked tempting and if we had been there longer would have explored.

You can get maps in many of the shops in Seefeld and also the Inghams rep had a plastic coated 1:25000 map for 9euro

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking/Hiking Seefeld area

I spend time in both Seefeld and mayrhofen.

Mayrhofen has a much larger offering of varied hiking .

But Seefeld with lesser choices still offers dome good times.

The Rosshutte lifts take you quickly from the village to higher altitudes.

Varied and fine hiking there - not unlike the Penken / Penkenjoch .

In nearby Leutasch - esasyand quick bus ride - like going to Ginzling by Mayrhofen - some good trails also at higher altitudes.

Some of the above over 2000 meters too .

Easy to get a map or look to the Seefeld website - some good info there

www.seefeld.at

Fortunately , living here makes for easy trips to these places .

Overall Mayrhofen is better for the hiker, but Seefeld is fun and enjoyable too.

Makes a nice visit .

6. Re: Walking/Hiking Seefeld area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 20:19
Get answers to your questions about Seefeld in Tirol