We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Plakias

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Plakias

Hi

My partner and I are spending a week in Plakias at the end of July. It's my first time in Crete and she hasn't been for nearly 30 years!

We'd appreciate any advice on:

- whether there are boat excursions from Plakias or nearby

- recommended places to eat that don't break the bank (we prefer family-run places with character)

- which meals are Cretan specialties and worth looking out for

- any tour operators who have shops in Plakias where excursions can be booked

- which supermarket people would recommend for the best range of products and lowest prices

As you can see...I don't ask much(!) - but any help welcome.

Best wishes

Bob

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Plakias

Taverna Apanemo is a great place to eat,so is the Kafenion,there are daily boat trips to

Preveli other boat trips are available.There are several supermarkets,a really good bakers,

two butchers and a fishmongers,it pays to shop around,everything is easy to find and the

locals are very friendly and helpful.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Plakias

Hi

My favourite taverns are Atlantis and Tasomanolis in Plakias.

Great food from both. I love the fried ice-cream (!) in Atlantis as a dessert!

Mentioned in this post
Tasomanolis
Tasomanolis
255 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Plakias

Thanks, gerlion - I will check those out. My partner may not allow me to sample the fried ice-cream, but maybe after a few drinks she'll relent!

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Plakias

Thanks, Ian L - useful tips and much appreciated.

Scotland
Level Contributor
140 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Plakias

To be honest you'll be able to suss it out once you arrive. It's not a big place and you can explore all your options by having a wander round the village. Restaurants display their menus and prices and there is info on boat trips advertised. As for supermarkets all much the same in my experience.

First time in Crete? Well, Plakias was my first time in Greece and that was over 25 years ago - been back every year since!

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Scotland
Level Contributor
140 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in Plakias

To be honest you'll be able to suss it out once you arrive. It's not a big place and you can explore all your options by having a wander round the village. Restaurants display their menus and prices and there is info on boat trips advertised. As for supermarkets all much the same in my experience.

First time in Crete? Well, Plakias was my first time in Greece and that was over 25 years ago - been back every year since!

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in Plakias

Thanks, Ian - appreciated.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week in Plakias

Hello Bob

As Ian Scotland says one of the beauties of Plakias is that it is small enough to explore and find your way around on the first morning. So you will soon decide for yourself where is best to shop and call in for a cooling frappe. When talking about where to eat I'm surprised he didn't mention Lysseos which I think he visits regularly. I would recommend it too. Have a look at the TA reviews on places to eat here tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g319776-Plakia…

Trips are limited but I'm sure someone will try and sell you something. I know the Olympic rep tried to tempt us but wan't successful! Do take the bus to Reythimnon. There are 5 buses a day and is a cheap and worthwhile day out. It can get a little breezy in Plakias (understatement) so if you decide you want to take the boat to Prevelli do it early on in case the wind gets up as it doesn't run when it 'gets a bit fresh'!

Enjoy!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,484 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week in Plakias

Hi there

I would recommend Gioma taverna it was sooo hot when we visited in July, and the breeze from the sea while sitting in the shade in this taverna was lovely, and the view was beautiful too across the sea :-)

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g319776-…

Scotland
Level Contributor
140 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A week in Plakias

A yes Lysseos, go there every night! But am sure others have different favourites.

Get answers to your questions about Plakias