We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nauplion Audioguide ?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Nauplion Audioguide ?

Hi!

I'm hoping the 'experts' will be able to help!

I read on some posts that there were Free Audioguide for a visit of Nauplion.

We will be there in November for 1 day - port of call on our cruise on Azamara Quest.

We intend to stay in town for the day so that sounds like a great thing to have!!

Where can we pick those up - and would you know if the Audio guide is also in French?

Thanks in advance!

MC

Corinth, Greece
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nauplion Audioguide ?

Please check here:

http://nafplio-tour.gr/

Nafplio Municipality is about to start a new service for city's visitors by providing them with audio devices for an audio tour guide.

I'll contact municipality office on Monday (now it is closed) to ask them whether this service has been launched. And if not, when they estimate to be launched.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nauplion Audioguide ?

Hi!

That's the website I saw that from, but when you click on the Audio Guide Icon, that page is only available in Greek...

Thanks for looking into this for me! I truly appreciate it!

MC

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nauplion Audioguide ?

I would like VERY much to hear what information this new TA contributor "VisitCorinth" obtains from the Nauplion/Nafplio Tourist Info Office!! I wish him/her better luck than I had in my recent visit to Nafplio.

At the end of the 2008 Tourist season, a cruise passenger who stopped in Nafplio talked about a wonderful audio guide that was available at the dock -- all you had to do was leave some key ID (driver's license) to assure that they would get the equpment back. It supposedly walked you through about 40 major landmarks/historic sites in Old Town. I was thrille to hear this, and as the "destination expert" for the town, I had been suggesting it on and off the forum.

Well, I arrived May 23 and went looking for it. I looked for the kiosk HIGh and LOW, I asked the port police, I asked the travel agencies. They were mystified "It was here a few weeks ago" they said. I finally located the Nafplio Tourist info office -- very inconspicuous, on your way to the "train park". Ther were 3 adults there -- drinking coffee, reading papers, making personal phone calls... and one teenager standing by the door. He was too young to be a staff member (probably a relative) but he was the only one who spoke English beyond 2 or 3 words. (They also did not speak French or German -- and Tourism is the major revenue source for this town!!).

When I asked about the Audio Guide Kiosk, the boy had to translate. The others pointed in the direction of the harbor. No no I objected. Finally, the coffee-drinker picked up the phone & made a call. VErdict? "Is finished." "Why?" I asked. Shrugs. How can i find out why? I asked. "Go City Hall" was the answer. After a long struggle I got the E-mail address of the person who supervises this TRAVESTY of a Tourist Information Office, and I plan to write a formal complaint letter.

So Yes, I'm very interested to find out if a Greek-speaking person can get a fuller explanation from this awful office.

PS: So that I could counsel others, I had previously found out from harborside travel agencies that 1-day tours of Mycenae-Epidaurus would begin in mid-June. When I asked the TOURIST office how to go to these famous places (and the boy translated), a staff member said "Bus Station." But what if I want a tour? "Go agency" he said. What a helpful place!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nauplion Audioguide ?

I travelerjan!!

I'm a bit mystified by your post! I understand your frustration, but I now feel our stop there will be a waste of time? Should I just plan to take a ship tour?

MC

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nauplion Audioguide ?

I'd suggest waiting until tomorrow to see if VisitCorinthia can give you the information you requested, Mcdessureault :-).

I think even without an audio guide you could have a great day out in Nauplion.

Maybe we were lucky, but we found the tourist office quite easily and a lady there( there were two)who spoke fluent English, was helpful and showed us on a map how to get to different places. ( We were not on a cruise and we had a rental car).

Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nauplion Audioguide ?

Oh, no, mcdessureault -- your stop in Nauplion will NOT be a waste of time, even if there is no "audioguide" available!

It's a wonderful city, and VERY easy to navigate! I am sure Travelerjan will reply with some of the highlights for you... if not, I and plenty of others here will offer more information and suggestions for your short visit.

Even with no guide od any kind, you will find plenty to see, understand and enjoy in Nauplion.

Happy Travels!

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nauplion Audioguide ?

I asked TA to remove my post because I made a mistake about the tourist office ( I was thinking of Kos!@#$%^!!!).

However, the first part of my answer stands :)) ..just wait until tomorrow ( Monday) to see if VisitCorinth can get you the info you requested regarding the audio guide.You have time. Even without one, you can have a great day out in the town.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nauplion Audioguide ?

:-), Deb!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nauplion Audioguide ?

I agree... NO, it will NOT be a waste of time ... the Old Town of Nauplion is MAGIC.

Yes, I hope that VistCorinth will come back tomorrow with GOOD information that the Audio Guide Kiosk is up and running again... that's the simplest answer. But if not, you can easily spend a thrilling day wandering the streets and seeing the sights. Here's a strategy for that:

Off the ship, go straight to the Main Square -- Syntagma Square (large piazza, floored in MARBLE). Go to the bookstore on the corner of the square. Look through their paperback guidebooks. The BEST one has a blue cover and an aerial view and the title NAUPLION and the smaller subtitle:

history •archeology •information •Nauplion today

It has MANY photos + excellent map with NUMERALS showing locations. Sit in a lovely tree-shaded cafe across the way and look thru it -- and circle the locations of the Key things u may want to see... most are very close by in Old Town

ARCH. MUSEUM - right on the Square, newly renovated, just open, wonderful! Easy to understand, has short into film, exhibits are WELL marked.

FIRST GREEK PARLIAMENT - just above the square; imposing Mosque-like building, now used for concerts

ST. SPIRIDON -a street leading right from the Square as u face the sea .. the Church where the first president of Free Greece (1828) was assassinated (then the capital was moved to Athens).

FOLK MUSEUM - same direction, on Ypsilanti St -- if u love costumes & fabric u will adore this! Among the top folk museums in GReece. Also its gift shop is a trove of tasteful well-price items.

SHOPS-SHOPS-SHOPS --Nafplio is favorite weekend getaway for savvy Athenians so many chic stores for clothing, home decor, objet d'art; I love windowshopping here!

ACRONAFPLIA -- This is the "top of town" you see looking up -- the wall & tower. Easiest way to get there is to walk to end of waterside promenade, then there is a ramped drive going up to a parking square. You will see a big (spooky) entry to an Elevator in the Rock (really!!) that takes u up to top --where there's a swank hotel built by the govt. Go AROUND the hotel & u are on the point of the peninsula -- divine view of sea! Also u will spot a cute beach below, on other side of peninsula. U then can walk along the AcroNafplia parapet past the tower to the far end, and down a ramp -- to yr right is beach, to your left, BACK in Town, on the street that leads direct to the Dock.

PALAMIDI -- that's the HUge Fortress on a Gibraltar-size rock behind the town. Some fools walk UP the 999 steps. You being wise will hire a taxi to take u up the back way and wait 30 minutes while u walk around a bit, gasp at the vista and take some photos. Probably can do it for 20€ (splite among 4 people, not bad at all).

the PARALIA -- that's what they call the waterside promenade of fab awning-shaded cafes... upholstered wicker love seats, stunning front-row seats for sunsets. Don't miss it. You can admire from there the Castle in the Bay (Bourtzi)... u don't need to take a boat out there. Read the rest of your guide book.... identify the heroes whose statues are on almost every corner. Buy a lemonade. Relax!

Here's a wonderful slideshow of lovely Nafplio highlights:

travel.webshots.com/slideshow/551991579dJbWvh

-- I venture this will be your favorite stop of the trip ... perhaps, like me, you will find yourself going back to stay awhile.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Nauplion Audioguide ?

Hello all,

Although there are efforts {Gnto =Greek National Tourist Organization - now upgrading site, providing more offices..although STILL not in Nauplion!!!} such as those by the local council of Nauplion to set up an information office, as Travelerjan recently found out, the Greek public service system lacks in areas organization and structure.

As far as I know, these audioguides are available {periodically as TJ has found out..} for free at the information office {opposite OTE building} ..free for use {limited number}, only passport required. I know there was some discrepancy with the kiosks in the past...apparently they never existed {!??} I am sure visitcorinth will give everyone an update, I'm also tempted to give them a call myself..{I especially want to know about these mysterious kiosks..}

new updated site of GNTO, {still no office in NAUPLION!!!}

www.visitgreece.gr

www.visitgreece.gr/pages.php…