We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Insurance

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Insurance

We will be in Nafplio from Oct 9-15 and would like to rent a car for 2 days. What's the best advice on insurance. My credit card company will cover me. I heard Travel Guard is good. Should I go with the rental company insurance or is there a better, cheaper and safer alternative?

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,606 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Insurance

Read your credit card insurance carefully. Some cover only a deductible.

If you get insurance from anyone other than the rental company, you will have to pay for any damage or loss and then claim a refund from your insurance company.

Brentwood, UK
Level Contributor
179 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Insurance

If you are only going to rent the car for a couple of days you would be best to stick with the insurance cover provided by the hire company. But make sure you pay the extra and get the excess covered as well. Otherwise you could end up losing your 500-800 euro deposit because of a small scrape or dent.

We use a yearly policy to cover our excess which works out a lot cheaper that the hire company, but we do hire a car for at least four weeks in the year.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,606 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Insurance

Unfortunately, car rental insurance in the UK is quite different from the US. The only people who can provide detailed assistance to the OP are those who have experience in the US.

Brentwood, UK
Level Contributor
179 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Insurance

Take your point sydneynick but I was refering to car hire in Nafplion or Greece in general. You need to make sure that the excess is covered. Over the last couple of years it has more than trebled in cost. So it would be a good idea to take up the renters insurance for a few euros a day if it's only a short two day hire hire.

The yearly policy I was refering to is one that covers my excess on hire cars where ever I hire in europe, not my daily car here in the UK.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Insurance

Check the insurance offered by your credit card. If you elect to go with it you must decline any other insurance offered...

Be sure to stop by the AAA and get an international driving permit. They are mandatory in

Greece.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Insurance

Citori:

Are you talking about the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)? I believe it's relatively inexpensive per day and since we would only be renting for 2 days it may be the best option. Have you or anyone else bought it? What should I look for if purchasing it? And should I get theft insurance also?

Thanks

Brentwood, UK
Level Contributor
179 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Insurance

CDW normally comes as standard. They call it "full insurance".

But what they don't sometimes tell you is that the excess, tyres, glass etc is not covered. The excess can be up to 800 euros in any claim. So if you have an accident (no matter how small) they can keep your 800 euro deposit or excess.

You can pay a little extra for this to be covered, usually 6 to 8 euros a day. For a short two day hire it's worth paying.

8. Re: Car Rental Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Nafplio