We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek vacation-need help with itineray!

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Topic
Greek vacation-need help with itineray!

My first trip to Greece, and am overwhelmed with the possibilities! Planning 10-14day trip. I have decided that Nafplio is a 'must see'(after reading here) and think perhaps 5 days there at least. I THINK I would be sad if I didn't see an island(Santorini? ), and assume Athens should be visited. The more I read, the more I get confused. Anyone have some tips to help me choose? Traveling with girlfriends, not looking to 'party' but do want to experience Greece, not just sit on a beach.(although beaches are nice too!) Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Nafplio
Nafplio
Argolis Region, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek vacation-need help with itineray!

If you're landing at Athens airport , taking a domestic flight or ferry to the island of your choice at the start of your holiday would be a good idea. It means you wouldn't have to consider the timing of your return to the mainland for your flight home.

Nafplio has a very good bus service to Athens (about 2 hours). It makes a good centre for visiting a number of ancient sites; Tyrins,Mycaene, Epidarus, Nemea etc. There is a small town beach with good swimming and Tolo , a resort with a sandy beach, thirty minutes drive away.

Probably a good idea to hire a car if you want to tour around, you'll need an international driving licence if you're not an EU citizen.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Nafplio
Nafplio
Argolis Region, Greece
Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
669 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek vacation-need help with itineray!

Greece - So many choices, so little time...

You're not saying when you'll go to Greece, next summer perhaps? Or soon?

Islands in the summer are different from out of season.

Nafplio and Athens are excellent choices any time of the year. As for Santorini... Well, it's "postcard Greece", but also very, very crowded (in the summer) and the beautiful towns feels like stage backdrops, kind of artificial somehow (my English is not good enough to explain it, I think). Anyway, many will disagree on my view on Santorini.

My advise is to visit islands closer to Nafplio and Athens. Like Hydra, very beautiful and without a single car or moped to disturb the peace, or Poros, Spetses, Egina... = The Saronic islands. A quick internet search and you'll get some ideas about these islands. You can start here: http://www.greeka.com/saronic/index.htm

You could travel directly Airport - Nafplio, later you can go by bus to nearby Ermioni or Porto Heli, Galatas or Kosta and take a ferry to one or more of the islands mentioned above. Then a ferry to Athens (Piraeus) and spend the last days of your holiday there. Simple, no back-tracking and less time consuming.

If your traveling Oct - April, chose an island with a high number of residents for the island part of your tour, .

Edited: 22 September 2012, 08:17
Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Nafplio
Nafplio
Argolis Region, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Hydra
Hydra
Saronic Gulf Islands, Greece
Poros
Poros
Spetses
Spetses
Porto Heli
Porto Heli
Argolis Region, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek vacation-need help with itineray!

Those are excellent ideas! I am going late spring, so im thinking the season will be starting, but trying to avoid "high" season. Torn between settling in fewer cities and doing day trips via car, or covering a lot of area by staying somewhere different every 2days. Im starting to see how we need to make this 14 days...

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek vacation-need help with itineray!

I've spent the last 10 days touring the Peloponnese and am currently in Napflio - a beautiful town, and you can get a good feel for its charm in a day. If your interest is in antiquities, you could take in Mycenae and Nemea in one day. While it would be nice to spend more time in the town, there's so much to see that I'd suggest 3 nights in Napflio and at least one night in Monemvasia.

Malianna's suggestion about the Argo-Saronic Islands is an excellent one. Visit Epidaurus on your way to Galatas, where you can take the ferry over to Poros, which would make a good base for day trips to Hydra, Aegina, and Spetses.

An itinerary like that will minimize the time you spend getting from one place to another.

But if you want to include Santorini (IMO, the most beautiful but least enjoyable of the islands I've visited), you could combine it with Naxos and Paros, and still take in Napflio and Athens - save Athens for your last two nights.

As you get in to your planning, you'll find that there's no "ideal" two week trip to Greece. You can see a lot, but you'll have to miss out on about 90% of what the country offers to travelers.

Mentioned in this post
Monemvasia
Monemvasia
Monemvasia Municipality, Greece
Poros
Poros
Hydra
Hydra
Aegina
Aegina
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek vacation-need help with itineray!

If you like a slightly "off the beaten path" vacation, I highly recommend the Peloponnese. We spent 10 nights there last year and fell in love. We went during Easter week, and it was still fairly low key. Our itinerary, in a nutshell, was Nafplio (recommend the Pension Marianna), Monemvasia (absolutely not to be missed; highly recommend the upper town, and staying "on the rock" at Monopati Apartments) and the Mani peninsula (truly off the beaten path, and spectacular). As someone else noted, there is so much to see and do you can't possibly do it all; for us this was a diverse but manageable itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Nafplio
Nafplio
Argolis Region, Greece
Pension Marianna
Pension Marianna
939 Reviews
Nafplio, Greece
Monemvasia
Monemvasia
Monemvasia Municipality, Greece
6. Re: Greek vacation-need help with itineray!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 05:15