We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Peloponnisos area, ferries? drive?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
37 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Peloponnisos area, ferries? drive?

Thank you to everyone for posting such good information. It's great to be able to access this. We are familiar with Greece but not the Peloponnisos and are planning to take a week and explore the area. We've identified Idra, Kythera, Spetsi, Poros, Epidhavros, Zakinthos and of course Navplion and Kalamata as possible places to visit. If anyone would like to suggest a route we would be happy to hear it. We thought perhaps a ferry (which I love) from Pireaus to Idhra, then on to Navplion. Then renting a car and driving through the mountains which should be beautiful. We're going in June. Thanks.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Peloponnisos area, ferries? drive?

If I only had a week and wanted to see as much of what you've listed as I could, I'd spend 3 nights in Poros or Hydra and take daytrips to the other two islands. Then I'd rent a car in Galatas and drive to Napflio, stopping at Epidavros on the way, and spend the rest of the time there. A beautiful town to explore - and, incidentally, with gelato that would rival the best of Italy - and a good base to go to Mycenea, ancient Nemea and Corinth if your interest lies in ancient sites. But if you don't mind driving, you could head down to Monemvasia and spend a night there before returning the car and getting the ferry back to Athens from Poros.

Edited: 12 March 2013, 16:48
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,551 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Peloponnisos area, ferries? drive?

Are your days of arrival and departure included in your one week ?

Kythera and Zakinthos are Ionian islands, and will most likely not fit in timewise in your planned stay. Kalamata is also some distance away.

If you stay in Nafplion or on Hydra the other destinations are doable and within the time frame to explore. Besides travelling you will need time to enjoy seeing the attractions. Zakrosian has given you advice of more important ancient sites in the area, and I also add Ancient Corinth.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for Peloponnisos area, ferries? drive?

While I enjoy the Kalamata area (Messini) , I would give it a miss and stay in the Northern Peloponnese to save traveling. There are no ferries to Nafplio. As said above you can reach many of the classical sites. I always enjoy Tyrins , ten minutes on the bus from Nafplio, which is great center, for many of the ancient sites mentioned above; and you can go for a swim.

Just to confuse the issue, there is an early Friday evening ferry from Piraeus, arriving at Monemvasia around midnight, when the mainland end of the causeway will still be busy enough for a meal and a drink. From Monemvasia there are a number of buses to Athens , which would drop you off at Corinth(Isthmus)

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,890 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for Peloponnisos area, ferries? drive?

Hi,

There is plenty to keep you occupied on the mainland for those seven days. As suggested by Greektraveller you could stop off at Ancient Corinth before driving deeper into the Peloponnese. From there head to Nafplion and visit the sites mentioned by Zakrosian before driving to Tripolis and then down to Sparti. Close to Sparti are several mountain villages in the foothills of Taygetus, Mystras is the best known while Anavriti makes for a pleasant visit. From there you could head south to Monemvasia or back to Sparti and cross the Langada Pass to Kalamata. In my opinion this is one of the most scenic routes in Greece. If your main interest is to visit ancient sites you could drive to Megalopolis and take a look at the little visited Ancient Theatre before heading up to Andritsena and visiting the Bassae Temple. And, not too far north is Olympia. Alternatively, from Kalamata you could drive south to the Mani with its beautiful coastline and mountains as a backdrop.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
37 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for Peloponnisos area, ferries? drive?

Thank you both for your replies. We spend 5 weeks in Greece so our dates for this part are flexible. We thought that a week would be good but if it is 9 days that's also ok. We just spotted those places I mentioned in our huge atlas and started there.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
37 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for Peloponnisos area, ferries? drive?

That sounds wonderful. We are interested in seeing the ancient sites but not dwelling on them, if you know what I mean. I like real people in real villages as opposed to tourist places. We've been visiting Greece since 1967 (husband) and 1978 (me) and sort of mourn for the old Greece. And we swim so we love beaches too. Thanks for your suggestions.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,890 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for Peloponnisos area, ferries? drive?

Hi,

I don't think you will have any problems meeting real people in real villages. My favourite villages are up in the Tagyetus foothills, just above Kardamili which is also well worth visiting (south of Kalamata). And, for beaches you could check out the likes of Petalidi, Pylos, Methoni and Finikounda, these villages are also south of Kalamata but on a different peninsula. Good luck with the planning, the fact of the matter is you are spoilt with so much choice.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
10,177 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for Peloponnisos area, ferries? drive?

The range of things to see on the Peloponnese is never ending, I have lived here for over 6 years & visited for many years before that & am still discovering new places!

For ideas take a look at these sets of photos, some well known sites, others not even marked on most maps!

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

See what takes your fancy & we can try & make an itinerary for you.

9. Re: Itinerary for Peloponnisos area, ferries? drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 04:18