We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for great, non-cupcake, bakeries in Nafplio

Which Nafplio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn
6 posts
Save Topic
Looking for great, non-cupcake, bakeries in Nafplio

Hi,

I am on my way to Greece in two weeks and I'd love to fine a good Greek bakeries in Nafplio for morning and evening visits. But it’s off-putting to see that a cupcake bakery is #1, and is not only the highlighted bakery, but the Trip Advisor best restaurant for the city. I have nothing against trendy cupcakes, and I understand how placement is generated, but still…...

Any suggestions, particularly for bakeries with great combinations of filo, honey, walnuts and olive oil would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gregg

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for great, non-cupcake, bakeries in Nafplio

Nothing against cup cakes, but hardly a Greek experience, and the Antica Gelateria di Roma, behind the museum in the main square, Syntagma, is certainly worth a visit.

Can't remember which, but one of the two main shopping streets leading into the old town from the bus station has a traditional bakery. There are a number of good tavernas in Vas Olgas, just behind the more expensive fish restaurants on Boubboulinas on the sea front.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
570 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for great, non-cupcake, bakeries in Nafplio

All the other bakeries in Nafplio are of the Greek variety, and there are plenty! One of the best is Alevri kai Zachari / Αλευρι και ζαχαρη in Sidiras Merarchias 26.

Frankly, I don't know why the cupcake place gets such a high rating, to me their cupcakes are nothing special.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
570 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for great, non-cupcake, bakeries in Nafplio

I checked the reviews for the cupcake place. Many of the reviewers have only this one review posted on TA...

(Then again, I only have written 3 reviews, but that's because I write reviews on my visitnafplio page, not here.)

Brooklyn
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for great, non-cupcake, bakeries in Nafplio

My thanks to you both, we are leaving Monday for a ten days in the Peloponnese. No doubt I‘ll be spending more time walking than anything else, but fish, olives and an occasional rich late morning (or evening) snack - what could be better.

Nafplio, Greece
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for great, non-cupcake, bakeries in Nafplio

Hi Gregg,

For fyllo pastry, you should try the pastry shop "Γλυκός Πειρασμός" on Plapouta street.

Also worth considering is "Μελίρρυτον" on Sofroni street in the old town.

If you don't mind driving only 2 min out of town in the direction of Ancient Tiryns and Argos, a highly recommended option would also be "Dolce" (a personal favorite). Take the road to Argos (Argous Street) from Nafplio's main roundabout. Once you get to the traffic lights (the only ones on this street), turn right and you'll see Dolce on your left hand side. The main facade faces Argous street. It is right opposite to the Municipal bicycle rental stand.

All the best for your trip.

As regards the cupcake shop. I'm not a cupcake fan either, but the reason why they rank first is simply because they make sure their cupcakes are made of fresh materials every day. Liz does not use any artificial flavors or colors at all. Her cupcakes are the freshest you'll find, period! (Note: Alex is my brother and Liz is my sister-in-law so I know)

6. Re: Looking for great, non-cupcake, bakeries in Nafplio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 05:15