We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medical care

Which Pollenca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
liverpool
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
medical care

Are there any doctors/ hospitals within Puerto Pollensa that will treat you on the state if you have a European Health Insurance Card?

I know that you are best to have private insurance but it is difficult and expensive to get cover for pre existing medical conditions.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: medical care

To my knowledge there is just one Doctor's surgery in the centre of Puerto Pollensa near the square by the church.You have to get there yourself. I had to see him once after suffering the consequences of food-poisoning (mussels on a Sunday!) for 6 days and Diocalm did not work. He was very good and spoke excellent English.Prescribed anti-biotics which I bought in the Farmacia nearby. The cost of the consultation didn't amount to the excess on my travel insurance so I ended up paying anyway.

The nearest hospital is in Alcudia.

Here again I may well be wrong but everyone pays for doctor consultations, locals and visitors alike.What locals do get,but we don't,is a discount on their prescribed drugs in exchange for the voucher the surgery gives them.

The European card you mention-replaced the old E111- only entitles the holder to basic emergency HOSPITAL treatment.Even ambulances have to be paid for. And if you are unfortunate enough to end up in hospital the care you get in there is nothing like you get over here. No nurses to run around after you. Your nearest and dearest have to muck in. I know this because a friend of mine is travelling out to Alicante one week every month to relieve a sick,hospitalised friend's wife while she is providing the nursing function.

All is not lost if you have pre-existing medical conditions. We have an annual travel insurance with Direct Travel and both of us have pre-existing medical conditions.We pay a small extra premium but have just renewed for below £100 per year.It's the type of pre-existing condition that may refuse you cover.Eg if you have had one heart attack recently then the chances of a recurrence while abroad are fair.On the other hand if you have eg depression you are very unlikely to require expensive medical treatment while on holiday.Having said that it is essential to get all pre-existing conditions listed.

Good luck.

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: medical care

The PAC - "health centre" in Pollenca, on Calle Bisbe Despachal, will certainly treat you with your E111 card but dont expect them to speak any English -dont think there is a state clinic in Pto Pollenca but will check with a buddy who lives there if you wish.

Not that its relevant but residents dont have to pay to visit any of the state clinics but you need a Tarjeta Sanidad.

liverpool
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: medical care

I'm under the impression that if you advise the doctor treating you and he is state registered then you are treated the same as a Spanish citizen and do not have to pay for your care.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: medical care

Im afraid that even Brits living in Spain have to pay for care unless paying into the Spanish Health Service or over Retirement age.

An EHIC will get you basic emergency care - unlikely to get an English speaking Doctor - but anything else must be paid for. I really would recommend that you get private cover.

liverpool
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: medical care

According to the NHS website, your EHIC allows you to access the same state provided healthcare as a resident of that country. This includes any care that arises whilst you are abroad.

So the question is does a Spanish citizen have to pay to access healthcare. If they don't, we don't if we produce an EHIC.

A Spanish tourist unfortunate enough to visit the UK is able to access any care that arises whilst visiting UK. What you can't do is travel to a country specifically to access care.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: medical care

If you are unlucky enough to get really sick when you are on holiday in Mallorca the last thing you can handle at the time is which Dr/hospital can we take you to.Sounds a bit like US and medicare.Different if you are a walk-in case.Ambulances are manned by paramedics and operate like taxis,in fact they are owned by taxi companies. They have to be paid for.

liverpool
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: medical care

There are public state funded ambulances according to one website, can't remember website. When you phone for an ambulance you just ask for a public ambulance.

8. Re: medical care

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 16:17