We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip.... help needed

Which Pollenca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First trip.... help needed

Hi everyone.

A group of 6 of us (3 couples) have hired a villa in Pollenca for a week in May. A few questions if anyone can help.....

1) When is the local market on and what type of things do they do there? ie - good breads, meat etc?

2) Our villa is situated in crestaix, where is the nearest supermarket?

3) Can anyone recommend some lovely restuarants either in Pollenca, Crestaix or surrounding? We like fairly modern places with great views and excellent food and drink. Although also after some traditional spanish places also.

4) If there was only one thing you could do whilst in Mallorca, what would it be?

5) Is it easy enough to get taxi's from villa's into either Pollenca town or Palma etc? If so, how much roughly would they cost?

6) any excellent trips you can recommend?

Thanks all in advance, any help much appreciated

london
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip.... help needed

One more question, are you able to take alcohol through the airport? Ie bringing it from home? I know some places take it off you. And for that matter what about meat?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip.... help needed

1) Pollensa market day is Sunday.Get there early.Great choice of fresh and dried foods including bread and meat and fish.

2) I think Sa Pobla is much nearer to Crestaix than is Pollensa.

5) Crestaix is isolated.I recommend a hire car.You might have a job getting a local taxi out from Pollensa and it would cost quite a bit as it's a long run.Sa Pobla taxi would be a better bet.Palma by taxi is out of the question as it's over 30 miles away.There is a regular express service bus to and from Palma.You will have to get to the main road to catch it.Earlier today I drove past the Crestaix turnoff en route to Palma to drop off my hire car near the airport.The motorway exit for Pollensa & Puerto Pollensa is right next to the Crestaix turnoff.The other alternative is to travel to Sa Pobla and catch the train to Palma from there.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip.... help needed

Re the flight.You can't take more than 100mls of any liquid through security if it is in your hand luggage.If it is in your hold baggage no problem.However you would be stupid to do this as just about all alcohol is considerably cheaper duty paid in Spain than it is in UK.You could buy alcohol in the airport shop in UK after you have cleared security but this would not be cheaper than buying it in Spain from the supermarkets.UK taxes drinks and cigs much heavier than Spain.Meats-I think cooked meats are OK but not raw.You will need to check that one out.Then again why would you want to as a great variety of cooked and raw meat is available in Majorca?

Yorkshire
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip.... help needed

Hi

I've had a couple of holidays in Pollensa villas.

I can highly recommed La Font De Gall restaurant in Pollenca. Down a traditional little street near the big church. The food is amazing and not too dear.

You can get the bus from Pollenca into Palma for the day - 6 euros return - takes about an hour but that means you can go and see the sights (and shops)of Palma (try Abaco for cocktails).

Taxis are not expensive but the buses are great and cheap, if you fancy a beach for the day catch the bus or a taxi to Cala San vicente - it's heaven.

Have a great time.

Bucks
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip.... help needed

Will soon be going back to Pollenca for 5th time in as many years! Old town is a delight with a beautiful town square which comes to life in the evening - not in a rowdy way, though.

Local market is on a Sunday. Get there early before the tourist buses arrive. The stalls start coming down at about 1.00pm. Restuarants - The La Font del Gall is run by a Scottish couple and serves excellent food (http://lafontdelgall.com/). Another favorite is Il Giardino (www.giardinopollensa.com). Situated at the bottom of the steps in the town square, it's a classic Italian restaurant with a French touch. Both are very popular in summer and it's best to pre-book if you want to eat outside.

Palma - take the bus! The train from Sa Pobla is slow, and driving in Palma itself can sometimes be manic. The bus service is excellent, cheap and reliable and deposits you right in the centre. Good day trip is Soller. Drive from Pollenca using the mountain road via Lluc. Stunning scenery. Takes about one and a half hours due to the twisty road. Park in the port area, and take the tram up to the old town. Supermarkets - one on the right as you drive towards Puerto Pollenca from Pollenca. Another large one's on the roundabout as you enter Puerto Pollenca. Both offer wide range of fresh meats, wine etc. Excellent bakery in Pollenca, down a backstreet close to the museum. Enjoy!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip.... help needed

LondonMillymoo.

It is not possible to tell from the information you supplied what exactly you might be expecting of Crestaix.One thing you can be sure of is the high quality of rental properties in this isolated hamlet.Tell me I am worrying unnecessarily and I will lay off but as this is your first trip I wouldn't like you to be disappointed and unprepared.These are the aspects of your holiday you may like to confirm you are aware of.

1) You need a car to stay in Crestaix.You could not rely on public transport or taxis every time you want to travel away from the villa eg into Pollensa 7 miles away,to the beach 9 miles away,to the shops in Sa Pobla 3 miles away,to eat out.

2) There is no tourist infrastructure in Crestaix.

3) What method of transport from and to the airport/villa are you planning?

WirralScouse

(not a nominated TA Puerto Pollensa Expert).

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip.... help needed

"If there was only one thing you could do whilst in Mallorca what would it be?"

That is just such a difficult question! Can I put two answers?:-) I have taken in to consideration the fact you are in the North of the island - the best bit in IMO

1) On a sunny and calm day take a boat trip from Puerto Pollensa out to Cap Formentor - stunning scenery and very relaxing.

2) Go to the caves at Campanet, which are just as interesting as some of the more commercial ones and there is a cafe there with the most lovely views over the mountains and countryside. You should go and have a coffee there for the view alone.

3)Best til last... go and visit the Monastery at LLuc - that takes you to the real beating heart of Majorca.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip.... help needed

Could we have a response so far from you London Millymoo?

9. Re: First trip.... help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 17:28