We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pollenca weather coming up end Oct/start Nov?...

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Pollenca weather coming up end Oct/start Nov?...

Hi we are coming out with some friends to a villa at the end of Oct/start Nov - we have paid extra for the pool to be heated, just wonder what the weather is like at the mo, how warm the pool might be? (My husband is saying he'll take his wetsuit...?!)...

any advice much appreciated, thanks

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pollenca weather coming up end Oct/start Nov?...

Weather could be warm and sunny or wet, go prepared as your more than likely to get some of both this late in the season. If the pool is heated I'm not sure why your worrying about that, temp will be entirely down to what the owner sets it at...

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pollenca weather coming up end Oct/start Nov?...

Thanks for that - I had looked at forecasts and got the impression we might have an odd shower. As for the pool we had been told it would only be a couple of degrees warmer than the air temp with the heating on (so I guess it's been set fairly low!) Thanks for the info.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pollenca weather coming up end Oct/start Nov?...

Weather can be very hit and miss, yesterday was 28 degrees and sunny but we have had cooler temperatures and quite a bit of rain in the last week.

Your pool must be solar heated as there is an Island wide ban on using electric and gas heating due to electricity shortages. I think a wet suit might be a good idea.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pollenca weather coming up end Oct/start Nov?...

crazypom that's an interesting bit of "by the way" news.Purely out of interest how long are residents likely to suffer that ban or is it only re swimming pools? It can get darned cold in Majorca from November onwards as you will know even better than I.I can't see it affecting hotels but what about rented apartments?

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pollenca weather coming up end Oct/start Nov?...

wirral, to be honest, I can only speak for the Cala d'Or area where pool heating is only allowed using solar panels. It does not affect any other type of heating or electrical use.

Depending on the size of your house or apartment will determine your electricity allocation. Once you go over your allowance, the price rises dramatically so even if it was allowed would make heating a pool extortionate. Using gas (bottled) would also be expensive.

I do not know if this extends to hotels, most of which are closing down for the season anyway.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pollenca weather coming up end Oct/start Nov?...

Interesting.Thanks.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pollenca weather coming up end Oct/start Nov?...

Thanks Crazypom that's really useful to know - and to plan for cooler wetter days as well as warm and sunny (let's hope more of the latter!) I'll hope the pool is solar heated, it doesn't say in the info, just says you can pay extra to have it heated...? Wonder if it might be worth a call to the hire company...?

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pollenca weather coming up end Oct/start Nov?...

A lot of the reason smaller hotels dont have heating is, aside from the cost of heating oil, (Solar is OK but only really serves to make a warm pool warmer) , you really need to have the pool covered for the heating to do anything, and this creates much greater issues of health and safety. Believe it or not even smaller hotels such as mine are supposed to measure ph & alkalinity of pools DAILY, and an indoor warmed pool does present much greater issues of bacterial contamination and legionares disease. The electrical allowance isnt a huge issue for hotels as we have to present "projectos" justifying the electicity we need, and then gesa/endesa or whoever gives us that level of amps.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pollenca weather coming up end Oct/start Nov?...

That's useful info finca.A generation ago (20 years actually) my then partner and I used to stay late March for a week every year at Club Illa d'Or in Pto Pollensa (when the prices there were much more reasonable than they are now!).The unheated outside pool was freezing cold and never seemed to be used.So one day I tried it (and I am a regular swimmer). I nearly had a heart attack. Just imagine the cost of monitoring on a daily basis a pool that isn't used.

That pool was hardly ever in direct sun because of the tree cover and its location.Was advertised as a feature but I suspect it would only be used for cooling off in mid-summer.

In UK although we read about the general effect of the recession in Spain we do not see specific examples or case studies-more's the pity.I go twice a year sometimes 3 times to Spain and I have noticed recently how expensive things in the supermarkets have become.No probs for us as drinks are still cheap by our standards, and fruit and veg is still a bargain.But fresh meat is a wicked price and what you have to pay for the likes of laundry tablets/dishwasher tablets/toiletries including toothpaste and shampoo is mind-blowing.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pollenca weather coming up end Oct/start Nov?...

That's all realy helpful bits, thanks all xx

Get answers to your questions about Pollenca