We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pollensa and puerto pollensa in January

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
10,700 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
pollensa and puerto pollensa in January

We are planning a two week trip to Pollensa or Puerto Pollensa in late January, probably self catering. Is it pretty dead at that time of year? Or are most shops and restaurants open? Any other advice?

The 365 Calvari Steps
Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Lookouts
Placa Major
Points of Interest & Landmarks
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pollensa and puerto pollensa in January

Because there are local residents there are some shops and some restaurants to service them even in late January which is weatherwise one of the worst months.Restaurante Stay by the marina is open year round.But no "most" are not open late January.Being less of a tourist area old Pollenca will be more akin to normal but not fully functioning.The Eroski and Lidl supermarkets are open year round.

Mentioned in this post
Pollenca
Pollenca
Majorca, Spain
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
10,700 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pollensa and puerto pollensa in January

Thanks so much for the prompt and practical reply. Very helpful

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pollensa and puerto pollensa in January

Hi bestcornishcat. We stayed in Pollenca town for a week in February and it was very quiet indeed. As it is a working town, there were still folks about and when the sun shone people sat in the square for lunch or coffee. However, on dull days it was absolutely dead. We walked down to the port one lovely, sunny day and it was deserted. We were literally the only people walking on the beach.

On the same holiday, we spent a week in Soller and it was fabulous. There were plenty of people about; mainly locals but also lots of walkers. Virtually all of the bars and cafes were open. The scenery was lovely; orange and lemon trees laden with ripe fruit and beautiful wild flowers carpeting the fields. We go to Soller regularly, usually in April/May or September/October but I think I like February best of all. The Port was also quite busy during the day with a lot more going on than in Port de Pollenca.

We also spent a few days in Palma and it was fabulous. So much nicer than during the holiday season.

So my advice is go to Soller for a week and Palma for a week.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 16:44
Mentioned in this post
Pollenca
Pollenca
Majorca, Spain
Soller
Soller
Majorca, Spain
Port de Pollenca
Port de Pollenca
Majorca, Spain
Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pollensa and puerto pollensa in January

As much as I love Mallorca, I would not take a two week break in a January.

The weather is not reliable enough although you could strike it lucky and get a few good days. Tourism shuts down in Mallorca and although Pollensa will be ok Port de Pollensa will be dead.

Personally, I would look at the Canaries or other warmer destinations.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 18:08
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pollensa and puerto pollensa in January

It depends what you want to do. If you want to walk or do day trips to the little towns and villages, it is a perfect time to go. If you want to sit in the sun, then definitely not. That said, when we were there in February it was warm enough to walk around during the daytime in a teeshirt or light jumper although it was freezing cold at night. We had virtually no rain.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
10,700 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pollensa and puerto pollensa in January

Thanks so much for your response. I think we're leaning towards Palma (always fantastic) maybe topped and tailed with Pollensa and Soller.

Mentioned in this post
Soller
Soller
Majorca, Spain
7. Re: pollensa and puerto pollensa in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Pollenca
Recent Conversations