We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

majorca Speed cameras

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
majorca Speed cameras

Have a trip booked in June for 14 days in pollensa and having not driven in majorca for 5 yrs or so was wondering if anyone can give any tips on speed camera locations, or activity, of course i shall be trying my best to be a lawful motorist but forewarned is forearmed as they say. we are picking up hire car at palma airport and heading north etc so any advice ,tips would be appreciated.

Sussex
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: majorca Speed cameras

We enjoy driving on the island - tbh anything is heaven compared to southern UK m/ways like M25. Don't make the mistake of thinking you won't be prosecuted just because you're "not from round here".

So a few bits of advice, having driven around Mallorca a lot (but don't claim to be an expert):

Motorway speed cameras - your satnav might ping to alert you but why not just obey the speed limit and save yourself between 100-500 euros. The bill will be sent to the rental company who will forward it to you.Speed limit on motorway (autopista) is 110-120kmph. Obviously less near/ in towns but is signposted.

Driving through tunnels: Always switch your lights on in the tunnel then off again. Big fine if pulled over. Headlight graphic to alert you.

You must carry two warning triangles (put on the road if you breakdown) and a high viz jacket. The rental company will put these in the trunk/boot for you.

Seat belts must be used - big fine (as in the UK) if not.

No kids under 12 allowed in the front, even if wearing a belt.

Alcohol - don't go there. Spain has caught up and even bypassed the UK for strictness here. A small glass of wine or beer but best none at all.

Some useful words on the motorway/smaller roads:

Peligro - danger

Despacio - slow (excuse spelling)

Obras - roadworks

Salida - Exit

Ceda el Paso - give way

Parking fines can be steep. If you're not sure, ask. General rule: Parking is allowed in blue lines and prohibited on yellow lines.

Enjoy your driving and the beautiful sights you'll see.

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: majorca Speed cameras

thanks for the tips, appreciated

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: majorca Speed cameras

can anyone describe what the majorcan speed cameras look like, I imagine they're different from uk ones ?, some posts mention they look like white roadside electrical boxes !

Sussex
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: majorca Speed cameras

I can only remember seeing one camera on the way from the airport to Pto Pollensa - a white box which you could easily miss as we would have done if it hadn't flashed - not us thankfully. There are radar type signs and we have seen cops hiding just out of sight as they do here. If you are caught they will have not only your address but other id from the rental company and you could be arrested when returning to the country if you don't pay. None of my biz really but you seem quite concerned about the location of the cameras - are you going to be renting a Ferrari or maybe planning a quick getaway?! Have fun.

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: majorca Speed cameras

ha ha..no ferrari sadly but a ford fiesta most likely.... ...it's easy to slip into bad habits tho..

I rely heavily on cruise control here to prevent me inadvertently creeping up the speedo and triggering the little buggers,

i've seen some spanish camera images on google that are frankly scary, they're hidden in crash barriers etc and even fitted in the rear door of a parked car...crumbs.

will take your advice tho and try to remember that i'm on holiday and not driving on the madness that is the M25..

Sussex
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: majorca Speed cameras

Wow didn't know that about the hidden cameras! It's a different mindset to the UK where the intention is that the obvious presence of a camera, complete with warnings in advance, tends to slow people down. You can see how the covert way would be effective though. That and how scarily easy it is to become a points totter.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: majorca Speed cameras

There is a Spanish government website which gives details of locations of fixed cameras.

www.dgt.es/es/el-trafico/camaras-de-trafico/

However locations of mobile ones are not shown.

The mobile ones are tricky to spot.

Here is a photo of a unmarked car with a typical installation, the black cone on the grill.

…circulaseguro.com/2010/…radar_camuflado.jpg

This would never be used on the move.

Here is a list of the latest rules to be enforced, some will not affect the holiday maker.

elpais.com/elpais/…1395421359_504010.html

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: majorca Speed cameras

I'm one who likes to drive at whatever speed suits me, but here's probably the wisest advice to you all:

Whatever speed you intend to travel here, legal or not, be aware that drivers and others on the road in Mallorca just don't seem to be as alert or conscientious as in other places, and tend to be rather self-centered.

It's not unusual for people to pull out in front of you on to high speed roads, or slam on the brakes for no apparent reason. People pull of to street-side parking and open their drivers side doors without even checking if someone is coming, often causing you to slam on your brakes to avoid hitting their door.

Pedestrians have the right of way in all cases, and they know it. People will often walk out in the middle of the street unexpectedly without even looking. It's really dangerous - especially if you're travelling at high speed.

And Cyclists... well, they "own" the road here and it's not unusual for them to ride 4 abreast on a busy road or turn into your path unexpectedly. And many couldn't care less whether it inconveniences you.

Beware: Mallorca's accident rate is high, and the death rate is high.

So, you might think that the speeds are too slow for you, but be advised, you're "not in Kansas anymore".

Take my advice, it's in your best interests to drive at a reasonable speed, and drive >defensively<, and for your own sake and the sake of others, stay focused and BE AWARE of what's going on all around you. Your holiday could change to something quite different ...in a flash... and the police and courts aren't particularly nice about it.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: majorca Speed cameras

Very wise words mallorcat, I read yesterday that eight cyclists died in accidents on the Island last month, although not all involving cars.

Always expect the unexpected.

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: majorca Speed cameras

Crikey that's awful. Thanks for the tips and and replies. Will watch my speed and take your advice. Thanks