We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pollenca old town/casa estrella/restaurants

Which Pollenca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
northern ireland
Level Contributor
96 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
pollenca old town/casa estrella/restaurants

any one got any advice on pollenca old town? we go to mallorca most years- a few days in palma the on to somewhere else. we've done deia, soller, and port soller- wondring if thre's much going on in pollensa? Would like somewhere with a bit of atmosphere, great restaurants( we loved the food and scenery in deia but the weather was really bad and thre's not much of an atmosphere about the place). Guidebooks aren't that helpful on this. Looking at a villa at the Calvario steps-called casa estrella-has anyone stayed here? Thanks

Troon, Scotland.
Level Contributor
103 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pollenca old town/casa estrella/restaurants

Hi, C! We've spent a few individual days in Pollenca town on most of our holidays to Mallorca, and strangely enough, its always rained! Coincidence, I'm sure. We like the quaintness and the history .... and the cafes for the odd spot of people watching. The churches are interesting too, but each to their own. Being over 50, we've stood at the bottom of the Calvario steps, and looked up, then went back to the cafe!! We're staying at the Hotel Daina in PP in March so we can give you a bit of feedback on Casa Estrelle then, if you haven't already heard from the mass of knowledgeable people who frequent this site. Regards.....

Chester, England
Level Contributor
242 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pollenca old town/casa estrella/restaurants

Hi c-burd.

Check out.

http://www.puertopollensa.com/

For all the info on the area you'll need for an enjoyable holiday.

Regards

Carl.

cheshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pollenca old town/casa estrella/restaurants

My friends stayed in casa estrella in october, they have been to pollence loads of times and I have been quite a lot of times. The town house is nice, if you have got children prob not ideal as the outside is quite small, no pool etc. and on a quiet street. Inside very nice..in walking distance to

restaurants.. you cannot park directly outside of it, but you can get a car close by parking in a side street near by.

Depending on when you are going in the year, as to what is going on in the town

Festvals go on at certain times of the year, sunday market which is good.

Northampton, England
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: pollenca old town/casa estrella/restaurants

Hi

There are other villas on the Calvario for example the 3 bedroom villa with pool called El Calvari - you could take a look at www.puertopollensa.com or www.pollensapines.co.uk.

Pollensa is a lovely relaxed town with some great restaurants.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pollenca old town/casa estrella/restaurants

Pollense old town is wonderful. If you liked Soller (old town) you'll love it.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pollenca old town/casa estrella/restaurants

Hi there - I will just reiterate what everyone else is saying ie that Pollensa is wonderful. We have stayed in villas between Puerto Pollensa and in Puerto Pollensa itself. Depending when you are going you might like to consider that. You kind of get the benfits of being by the sea with being able to get to Pollensa itself - at least I'm assuming you'll have a car. Btw, the walk up the Puig Maria (big hill opposite town - not the Calvary Steps) is nowhere near as intimidating as you think - I'm a wimp when it comes to walking up hills and even I felt it was very manageable and the view on a clear day is SPECTACULAR. The nuns run a cafe where you can get a simple meal, drinks (including alcoholic!), there are loos too! You can even stay the night if you want real peace and quiet. The walk up is winding, and takes about 45 mins from the small parking area - bit quicker coming down although harder on the knees! Also take a run up to the Monastery at LLuc - be prepared for a bit of nail biting if you're the passenger - the road is quite windey in places but they do now have barriers in the worst places!! Worth it when you get there though. There is a bus if you prefer someone else to take the strain.

Writing this makes me want to go back immediately! Hope this helps.

Morpeth...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: pollenca old town/casa estrella/restaurants

Pollensa old town is a great place to stay. We spent a week there at the Hotel Son Sant Jordi (highly recommended) a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

The town has a relaxed atmosphere and we much preferred it to the Port, nice though that is. There are a handful of really good restaurants in the centre, although our favourite was La Placeta, our hotel's own restaurant on the little Sant Jordi square, a few minutes' stroll from the heart of the old town.

Don't let the previous post put you off tackling the climb up the Calvary steps. Do it on a cooler day, take your time, and it's a breeze. There's a tiny cafe next to the little chapel at the top where you can cool off with a drink before going back down. It's one of those things that you really ought to do and will regret if you don't.

The Sunday market is good and spreads out from the main square into little side streets.

As a previous post said, if you like Soller old town you are sure to enjoy Pollensa. They are both really nice places to stay.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pollenca old town/casa estrella/restaurants

Blippo again - I wasn't referring to the climb up the Calvary steps, which we have done quite a few times - slowly, and in the cool of the day as suggested! No, I meant the Puig di Maria which has the convent on the top and which can look a long, long way to climb if you don't realise how the path meanders round through the olive groves. Just though I'd clear up that misunderstanding!!

Morpeth...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: pollenca old town/casa estrella/restaurants

Sorry Blippo, I was referring to the earlier post by Bigshoey who retreated to a cafe rather than tackle the Calvary Steps. On a really hot day I can see that being the sensible option. Must try the other hill climb you mention next time we stay in Pollensa.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pollenca old town/casa estrella/restaurants

For Year of the Cat - hadn't noticed the earlier comment - glad we cleared that up!

There is one other comment about the view at the top of the Calvary steps which not everyone may realise - if you follow on round a bit past the main viewpoint and go down a track to the left past a few villas, you come to a second smaller view point that gives a wonderful view up and down the valley. It's only a few yards away but isn't really sign posted.

If you do the Puig di Maria hike it is obviously better done earlier in the day - the lower bit of the walk is quite shaded, but becomes more exposed at the top. It took us about our sixth trip to the area to try it out, as we didn't really believe it would only take 45minutes as stated in the guide book. (We are in our late 50's and only averagely fit, if you need a yardstick for who it's suitable for!)

Race you to the top!!

Get answers to your questions about Pollenca