We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port de Soller improvements

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Port de Soller improvements

For anyone who is interested there is an article in Sa Veu, the local newspaper for Soller, that the finishing work on the seafront is to begin in April 2010 and finish in January 2011.

The article says(if I understand it correctly) they are going to move the tramline to the middle of the road and have a walkway by the sea. They are still talking of putting a boom out to sea and creating more beach. This work will be ongoing during the summer - previous work was only done during the winter months.

I wonder if this is to tie in with the opening of the new 5*Jumeirah hotel in the spring of 2011?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port de Soller improvements

I can picture the present set up at Puerto Soller and this sounds like a real improvement.However the road disruption when I was there in the Spring 09 was considerable so to have such a major project continuing through 2010 season is surely going to mean pain before the pleasure.

And just a thought-Are the severe current financial problems of Dubai World going to impact on the plans for the new 5* hotel? I hope not because the Port could do with a really luxurious hotel-as could Puerto Pollensa.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port de Soller improvements

Well that news could well hit the bookings for the resort in 2010.

I wouldn't fancy listening to the sound and sights of a major building redevelopment on my summer holiday, I'm sure a lot of others wouldn't too.

Edited: 15 December 2009, 16:48
merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port de Soller improvements

I thought the new hotel had been mothballed with no further work going on ?

on another point I beleive the Aimia Htl will have new owners next season and its featured in Thomsons / Tui brochures for next summer , anybody know anything about that?

seasons greetings to allT/A forum members

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Port de Soller improvements

The last work on the front was done during the winter of 2006/7. Nothing has been done since which I believe was because there was a change in government. It will be lovely when it's done as the road looks scruffy at present and just hope it doesn't cause too much disruption. What a pity they couldn't have started this winter but I believe the owners of the Jumeirah are going to provide a new water supply for the port so maybe they have to tie in both works at the same time.

Mallorca
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port de Soller improvements

Why is it that all major road works and improvements are done in the Summer?.

Anyway, it sounds like good news for Sòller.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Port de Soller improvements

Another article in Sa Veu now states the work will not disrupt the peak holiday season.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port de Soller improvements

Thank you for this information. As you look at the harbour, where is the Jumeirah to be built? I assume on the slopes of the hill to the North of the Port? I cannot make up my mind whether it will make or break the Port; it is such a special place. We had some lovely meals and walks there in October.

As a resident what are your feelings about this new large hotel, if it ever gets built? Obviously it will be good for employment , but I wonder if you will be faced with the same situation as Bermuda, where Jumeirah Hotels have been intending to build for quite a while now and as yet nothing has happened( but that happens a lot in Bermuda ).

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Port de Soller improvements

Yes, you're right. It is up the northern end. Do you remember seeing a half built building with a crane built on the edge of the cliff. It was once originally going to be built by a German guy but things went wrong and now it will be a new Jumeriah hotel. They've been talking about bulding it for years

and it was supposed to be started last April and now it's next April. We'll have to wait and see! It's been downgraded from 7* to a 5*.

Personally I think it'll be good for the port although I hope it doesn't push up the prices and yes I agree, it will be good for employmet especially if it's open year round as jobs are scarce in winter and I know people struggle.

I heard there was talk of them installing an elevator on the cliff side leading down into an underwater glass restaurant! After the horrific cyclonic winds last January when the waves were coming up over Santa Catalina I would hate to think what would have happened if it had been built already.

I am looking forward to everything being finished and it will be interesting to see how they are going to manage to make a beach all around the port and keep the sand there. I shall sit on my balcony and watch with interest!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port de Soller improvements

I can't see the new hotel being anything other than a big boost for Puerto Soller.I see that Majorca Daily Bulletin has reported that the financial fallout in Dubai is not expected to impact on the development plans for the hotel which is due to open in 2011.Fingers crossed.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port de Soller improvements

Aah well, there goes another dream. Yes, I remember the crane well as I was hoping that a wonderful new block of beautiful apartments may be built there and the pipedream was, well I don't need to spell it out.....

The situation is perfect, with the view over the Port and the setting sun. I hope that it does get built and doesn't just sit there for the forseeable future as a building site.

Also, it would be wonderful to have a larger beach area for the grandchildren and then in my opinion Port de Soller would be very hard to beat for a perfect holiday destination.

Get answers to your questions about Soller
Recent Conversations