We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking

Which Soller hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
Level Contributor
92 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
walking

when is the best time to visit majorca in the spring/early summer to include some walking.. we would like it to be warmish or at least mild and we're anxious to avoid rain!

Is it still too cold at end of Ferbruary when the almond trees are in bloom?

We are thinking of basing ourselves near Soller and spending a day or two in Palma.

Are there particular hotels/finca's anyone would recommend.

Manchester England
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking

maryjaneflanagan...........

I cannot comment on hotels etc in Soller as I haven't been there...........but on the subject of weather,I have put a link below showing you the seasonal averages so you can judge for yourself if it would be warm enough for you?

wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayIntlNORMS.asp…

I hope this helps you a little?

I would most probably send a PM to the destination expert for Soller for further guidance.........

MANCHESTER-GOLFER

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,554 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking

I would say April would be a good bet. You have the chance of decent weather, but still not too hot for walking, and the oranges and lemons will still be on the trees making for lovely smells as well as sights.

Mayaling has very good info on Soller, hopefully she might be along soon to give a hand!

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: walking

I have just had a look at my photos taken in February for the last 3 years and we certainly had some nice days. Whilst out walking with friends they were wearing shorts and t-shirts or on other days long sleeved cotton tops. I have also got photos of us sitting outside for lunch in t-shirts. It gets chilly though when the sun goes down. This is one of my favourite months of the year for walking in the Soller area and when the sun shines it's beautiful with the almond blossom, spring flowers and oranges ripe on the trees.

The trouble is, like anywhere,you can't guarantee the weather - we even had some snow on March 3rd this year although it didn't last long.

May is when it really begins to warm up but even then you can be unlucky and get rain.

Have a look at Casa Bougainvillea in Soller - a perfect B&B base for walking - you won't be disappointed.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking

In my opinion, Soller is the best base for walking on the island. We have twice stayed at the B&B recommended by Mayaling, Casa Bougainvillea, and it is very good. Ask for a room at the back with mounain views. Other hotels are available here: http://www.sollernet.com/hotelen.html

Or you could rent an apartment. KenyonStricklandAssociates have a good selection.

We usually go in April and October. April is beautiful with trees laden with ripe oranges and lemons and full of deliciously scented blossom. It is also a good time for spring flowers like wild cyclamen and gladioli. We have had virtually no rain in April but the temperature fluctuates greatly from year to year. Some years we have had shorts on every day and on other occasions it has been really cold.

When we have been in October, it has been much warmer but also much wetter, especially this year when there was torrential rain for many days at the end of the month.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
362 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking

Check out Owners Direct & Holiday Rentals... for a choice of apartments

Preston, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: walking

We are a couple in our early sixties (still hill/mountain walking) who have visited Fornalutx (near to Soller) every year for the last 14 years. We like to go the last 2 weeks in May. It is nearly always warm with a gentle breeze and the scent of lemons & oranges mingle with jasmine & honysuckle. We have also visited in September in the past (2011 being no exception) we have already booked our villa. We stay in self catering villas (try 'Owners Direct). The village is said to be one of the most beautiful in Spain and we cannot argue with this. There are several good restaurants which are reasonably priced. You can walk from your accommodation all round the Soller valley although hiring a car can take you to Soller/Port de Soller/Deia/Valdamosa all of which have good walks along the coast or hills. Nowadays we do not need a walking guide as we know our favourite walks but we have a good walking guide (just in case) which we can highly recommend which is Discovery Walking Guides Ltd 'Walk Mallorca - North & Mountains by Charles Davis. The same company also sells a 'North & Mountains' Tour & Trail map which is very useful. Do try Fornalutx as a base - I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.

7. Re: walking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2012, 05:37