We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tram fares

Which Soller hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
tram fares

Found this site by accident - we've had an apartment in Soller for 4 years now, and manage to visit once a month from March to October. I'm pining, so just randomly googling to get my Soller fix! There seems to be a lot of knowledge out there, perhaps you can help? We have always been told that we are not eligible for reduced fares on the tram because we are not resident - but we do pay all the local taxes etc. Then recently I found an article that seemed to suggest that we may be able to get a book of discount tickets after all, if we can show that we own a property and/or spend a fair amount of time in Soller. Please can anyone advise if this is true, and if so how we would go about it?

many thanks

madeline

PS our daughter usually gets the bus, but as we live on C.Bonany the tram is just too tempting.......

lincs
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tram fares

We are also part time residents having an apartment in the port. We took our NIE number and passport to the town hall who gave us a paper to take to the station to purchase our tickets. I believe you now get a card rather than tickets

Hope this is of help.

I wonder if we qualify for tunnel reductions as we seem to spend a fortune taking visitors backwards and forwards to airport?

Looking forward to our return to Soller at the end of the month.

lincs
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tram fares

We are also part time residents having an apartment in the port. We took our NIE number and passport to the town hall who gave us a paper to take to the station to purchase our tickets. I believe you now get a card rather than tickets

Hope this is of help.

I wonder if we qualify for tunnel reductions as we seem to spend a fortune taking visitors backwards and forwards to airport?

Looking forward to our return to Soller at the end of the month.

Edited: 02 February 2011, 08:40
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tram fares

Thank you - it looks like this is definitely worth pursuing.

Hope you don't mind, but a couple more questions you may be able to help with. Which department or where in the Town Hall do we go? We had to ask about something before - possibly paying the ajuntament tax- and the chap we had to see was really rude, did not speak any English and was generally hostile. ( which is unusual for Soller unless you count the newsagent!). Do you speak Spanish perhaps?

Also, how long does the card last?

We too wonder about the tunnel - we sort of assumed the same would apply, but perhaps will pursue this too.

I envy you your visit - we have to ration annual leave so can't make our first visit of 2011 until the end of March - but friends have e-mailed to say the blossom is out already!

many thanks

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tram fares

you wont qualify for the tunnel discount unless you speak Solleric, which, they claim, is a dialect of Mallorquin. It doesnt surprise me at all that the Adjuntament doesnt speak English, best to get a local gestor to do it for you if you dont speak Spanish.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tram fares

Thank you for clarification. The ajuntament won't even speak Castilian if they can get away with it - much to the annoyance of the nice lady from the Peninsula at our bank! She gave them an earwigging because they are supposed to speak both by law.

I can get by in Castilian, with a bit of help talking slowly,but not much technical vocabulary I'm afraid! Sounds like a good idea to ask one of our Mallorquin friends to help.

many thanks

PS what is the discount on the tram, by the way? Is it worth pursuing?

lincs
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tram fares

I believe the card lasts one year ( we are still using our tickets up) and I think our neigbours said they paid 5€ for the card and you only pay 1€ each time on the tram so well worth the battle of the town hall. First floor on the left through the doors Not sure what you pay on the train but it will be a saving. Good Luck.

If you find anything out about the tunnel would be delighted to hear from you .

We saw our first blossom in early January so not surprised it is now in full bloom even though they have had a very cold spell.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tram fares

To get residant tunnel discount go to the office at the far end,(Palma side) of the tunnel.IE go from Soller through the tunnel and park up outside the office on the left hand side.

Get the relevant forms,complete them and take them to your bank.You then need to return the forms to the office to be activated.

They`ll connect your payments to your credit/debit card linked to your Spanish bank account.

Every time you use the tunnel thereafter pay by card,not cash and the toll is automatically taken from your bank account. It`s easy to do and a great saving.

Re the tram,yes you get a plastic card now and again,it`s a great saving on full fare.

Don`t let the ignorance in the Ajuntement put you off.

Suerte.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tram fares

Just to add a little more to this posting - the card lasts for 1 year starting in March. I'm pretty sure it cost us 7 euros last year. At the moment because the tram isn't running they are laying on a small Repic bus from the tram station in the port at the times the trams are supposed to run. It's free if you have a card or 1 euro if not.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tram fares

Wow - i'm so impressed with the info and help from contributors to this site! It seems well worth persisting. Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been otherwise occupied. Many thanks!

How bad are the tramworks by the way? We've been following the various reports in the papers, and angst about delays and proposal to stop from April to October. We have friends coming to Soller for the first time at Easter, and so sorry that they won't see the Port at its best. What's the general consensus - will it be better or worse when it is finally finished?

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tram fares

The actual tram line is now finished and is up and running again. That part looks really nice and a great improvement. Where the old tram line was has been dug up and new sewage and water pipes have been laid. They have just about finished filling this all in again but at the moment it is just rubble and mud. Once they have turned this bit into the new walkway I am sure it will be lovely to stroll right round the bay by the sea.

After a glorious fortnight of wall to wall sunshine it has rained the last two days and is very muddy along the front. They have started to dig a trench outside Brothers and all along the front are various holes which I assume are for joining up existing pipes to the new ones. When they were doing the northern end about 5 years ago I remember that being a real mess too. Hopefully they will at least have a good clean up for the Easter break if they don't stop by then.

I'm coming back to the UK for half term on Thursday so hopefully others who are out here will keep us up to date!

As I am typing this the rain is coming down in absolute stair rods so I dread to think what a mess it will be in the morning!!