We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

english doctors

west midlands
14 posts
Save Topic
english doctors

going to palma in may 2011 just wondered howw we went about getting medical help as my husband although ok now as had cancer and i have has problems with eyes are there any eye dept hospitals just in case

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: english doctors

Are you actually staying in Palma or Soller? Soller has a very good 24 hour medical clinic and twice when my grandson has needed to visit they have been very good. Language didn't pose a problem.

There are several hospitals in and around Palma which I am not familiar with personally but I think you would find the medical care in Mallorca is far more efficient than in the UK. I know where I would rather be if I were taken ill!!

west midlands
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: english doctors

hi thanks for your reply yes we are staying in palma nova not sure how far away Soller is

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: english doctors

You`re quite near to Palma then.

Soller is on the north western coastline,I`d say approximately an hours drive from Palma Nova

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: english doctors

Assuming ths is an emergency and not a routine issue, from PalmaNova Id head straight to Son Espases on the Palma Valdemossa road. E111 Card or private. If you are going private, Son Dureta in Palma probably has better Eye care but youll need an appointment..

west midlands
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: english doctors

thank you for your help

west midlands
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: english doctors

hi thanks for your help its a worry when someone as had health problems

west midlands
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: english doctors

hi perhaps we would have been better going to main land spain thanks for your help

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: english doctors

Any medical attention you might need is available in Palma though not all is available on production of E111 only emergency assistance.It would be as good as you might get anywhere in Spain (and as good if not better than in UK) although possibly in larger cities eg Madrid,Barcelona,Valencia there will be more choices.

I sense you are worried on behalf of your husband and yourself so I wonder if you have made the correct decision going abroad at all and not just whether you should be going to Majorca or mainland Spain.

If you are going on a package holiday it will be a comfort to you both to speak to the tour rep for your holiday as soon as you arrive and let her/him know of your concerns.The tour rep would be able to help you in the case of a medical emergency and the hotel will have an emergency contact number for her/him.If the tour rep doesn't visit your hotel you will be given an emergency number to contact.

As your husband has had cancer I suppose there is a chance you do not have travel insurance that includes cover for medical emergency treatment or hospital charges.These are very expensive abroad especially for people who have only known our free on demand NHS all their lives.

Good luck and do try to enjoy a worry-free holiday.

Edited: 22 April 2011, 19:07
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: english doctors

You`ll find the level of healthcare on Mallorca better than the uk,and at least as good as mainland Spain.

The chances are you will have a seemless and wonderfull holiday anyway.

west midlands
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: english doctors

thanks for your reply really helpfull ill do that , we have insurance and if any one is haveing trouble getting insurance with or after cancer look on the site insurancewith.com we had quotes of over £500 and refusals but i searched net and this company is really good cost us £139 for both of us for 2 weeks every thing covered large exess on my husband but not as much as it would cost if taken ill and no insurance .

Get answers to your questions about Soller
Recent Conversations