We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in March - which town?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday in March - which town?

Hi, we considering Mallorca for our holiday in March (mid till the end). I know it is out of season, and we are not looking for a beach vacation. But is it still pleasant in terms of relaxation? We are a couple with a toddler, and are just looking forward to relaxing: walking around (with a stroller, so hiking is out of question), sitting in cafes, eating good food,enjoying beautiful villages and sea views, watching our toddler play in the sand. Is it warm enough to sit outside during the day? Will everything outside Palma be closed?

Which area would you recommend. Palma, Soller and Pollenca all appeal to me. We are looking for a charming hotel that is not too big and resort-like.

My friend stayed in Soller with her toddler in April-May, and she highly recommended the place. But is it still very closed in March. Don't mind if the beach services or hotel pools are closed, but how about cafes and restaurants?

lincoln
Level Contributor
768 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in March - which town?

Personally I think that the only place that you can be sure to have a good selection of restaurants and cafes open in March is Palma itself and as the weather then can be quite changeable Palma also gives you the opportunity to visit interesting places in the city if the weather is bad. Most of the bigger resorts such as Calla Millor, Palma Nova , Alcudia ,Cala D'or and Puerto Pollenca will have one or two hotels open but these are often the larger and / or more expensive such as the Illa D'or in PP . Much as I like PP, at that time of year I would actually choose to stay in Palma Nova - the Viva maybe and hope for good weather.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in March - which town?

I totally agree with post#1.Especially the bit about PP which is like a ghost town in March except for the last week in March when Easter is extra early.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday in March - which town?

Soller itself will be open for business as usual. It is not a holiday resort but a very attractive open all year round little town. During the day there will be plenty open in the port and enough restaurants in the evening to have a choice but it will be quiet at night.

It may be a bit chilly in the early morning and evening but if the sun is shining during the day it should be t-shirt or sweatshirt weather and your toddler will be able to play on the beach but the sea will be cold.

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday in March - which town?

Lilli R,

I have just arrived back from mallorca this morning & we did exactly what you are looking for,sitting in cafes, eating good food,enjoying beautiful villages and sea views,we didn't go to Soller this time but we did visit Port Andratx, puerto Pollenca,Cala Ratajda & Santa Maria on different days, there were plenty of cafes / restaurants open in all the places i have mentioned.

The weather was brilliant this week on average between 18 & 20 deg,i was also sunbathing 3 afternoons

birmingham,uk
Level Contributor
878 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday in March - which town?

I'm going to recommend a resort I don't normally but because of the time of year, it will be slightly open and the beach is good.... Playa de Palma, near the airport ... You can walk from can pastilla, all the way down to el Arenal and sit outside a few restaurants and bars which I know will be open and if its sunny, the beach will be good. What I would say is hire a car for village and town visits or the bus into Palma etc...

glasgow
Level Contributor
230 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday in March - which town?

We spent the last week of march in port soller last year, everything was open as it is geared towards the many walkers and hikers in the area, the weather was a very respectable 20 or so degrees, warmer on several days but chilly at night. Port soller was a delight, we are returning in April this year and would highly recommend..orange and lemon groves everywhere you look-so pretty!

Majorca
Level Contributor
77 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday in March - which town?

Most hotels are open by mid Feb, this year, so restaurants will tend to follow these opening hours as well. Easter is early, so everything should be up and running as normal.

Weather, no one can tell....we always hope for fine, dry weather.

There are plenty of indoor things to do with your toddler. My favourite on a wet day is Monkey Park, an indoor play are in Festival park, about a 20 min drive away from Soller. Great cafe!

Also we have a fantastic aquarium in Palma.

Have a great trip

8. Re: Holiday in March - which town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 06:15