We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpocket warning

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,320 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
Pickpocket warning

We have just returned from a very nice week in Soller, our fourth visit. It is worth posting the following warning though.

My husband was In a supermarket looking at wine as we stocked up for the week. A man standing next to him indicated a bottle of wine and asked him something about it. While my husband was looking at the bottle, he noticed that another man on the other side seemed to be touching the pocket with his wallet in it - luckily it was zipped and buttoned as well. When my husband looked round, the other man moved away.

A local person told us that pickpockets come up at weekends to steal from tourists. They may come from anywhere in the world I suppose, get what they can and leave before anyone can catch them. I'm sure this is true in all countries and that tourists are often vulnerable. So please be careful on your holidays!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickpocket warning

Your post is common sense.

I`ve lived in many cities and countries and feel safer in Soller than anywhere else.

Even left my car and front dooe unlocked many times.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
373 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickpocket warning

Thanks for the warning. Very helpful. It has been known before, I remember a lady having her bag stolen from outside the Marina hotel.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickpocket warning

What was the situation in Northern areas of Majorca 10 years ago is no more,unfortunately.Petty and street crime is more common even in the towns where crime was infrequent.Tourists are target #1. The criminals are not local residents. They are immigrants especially from Eastern Europe (Romanies especially) and they have no scruples.In Magaluf they have a different skin colour but their criminal bevaviour is more obvious.The big problem is the passive attitude of the police.They do not seem interested in street crime.Just wait when the Russians they seem so keen to attract move in. They will kill robbers. Then the police will have to get involved. Roll on.

4. Re: Pickpocket warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 06:17