We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Edinburgh

Connecticut
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Edinburgh

My husband and I will be traveling to the Jedburgh area from Edinburgh by train or bus. We will not have a car. Where should we stay? My husband's ancestors were born and lived in this area (Stow Parish, Midlothean). Will we be able to get around by bus or could we hire a car for a day? also, is the West Highland Walk nearby?

Any help you could give us would be greatly appreciated. We are not renting a car because my husband does not want to drive on the left side of the road.

9 replies to this topic
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

Getting to Jedburgh by bus won't be a problem but getting around once you are there will be next to impossible without a car. You need to rethink that bit.

The West Highland Walk starts miles away - the far side of Glasgow - heading away from you

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

There are no train services in the area.

Munroe's of Jedburgh run an hourly service between Edinburgh and Jedburgh. It takes just under 2 hours. Download a copy of the time table here:

http://www.munrosofjedburgh.co.uk/page2.html

Public transport in the Borders isn't brilliant. A lot depends on where you want to get to. Driving in Borders is a lot easier than in a big city. The roads are quieter and there is less hassle when driving. I can understand your husband's reservations, and the first hour or so can be difficult while you adjust.

Stow is quite a way from Jedburgh and getting between the two won't be easy.isn't easy.

However First Bus runs service 95 from Edinburgh to Selkirk which goes through Stow. firstgroup.com/ukbus/…

The West Highland Way doesn't go anywhere near Jedburgh as it starts from near Glasgow and goes to Fort William. Are you thinking of the southern Upland Way which goes through Melrose.

www.southernuplandway.gov.uk/cms/index.php…

Connecticut
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

Thank you so much for your help. We are rethinking our trip. Perhaps we will rent a car. Also, sorry, I meant the Southern Upland Way which sounds very beautiful not the walk near Glasgow.

I appreciate your prompt response.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

We are thinking about renting a car. If we rented a car in Edinburgh, the drive to Jedburgh is about 2 hours? Is this correct?

Also, thank you for the weblink to the Southern Upland Way. That is the walk I was thinking of.

Hopefully, we will get to visit your beautiful area.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

Less than two hours, but more than one, depending on how you drive and (mostly) how long it takes to get out of the city. Allow 90 minutes from most locations.

Although there are city centre car hire locations, I guess you are unfamiliar with the city. Navigating Edinburgh is not easy, so even if you are not arriving by air, it might make sense to take a bus to the airport and pick up a hire car there. From that location, you can simply follow the city bypass (a divided highway) to the well-signposted junction with the A68 to Jedburgh.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,553 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

Jedburgh is about an hour's drive from Edinburgh. But do keep to the speed limit (ie do what everyone else is doing, don't go faster, don't go slower) as there are numerous speed cameras on that route - most of them in the ideal places to overtake other traffic.

Coffs Harbour...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

Wondering how far it is from Jedburgh to Minto? Is there a car hire place in Jedburgh?

Pat in australia

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

It's around 7 miles

googling doesn't show any obvious car hire in Jedburgh - ther is a Chris's Wedding Cars, but that sounds more like a taxi firm

Coffs Harbour...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

Thank you very much.

Reply to: Transportation from Edinburgh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jedburgh