We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comrie vs. Plockton? 1st visit to Scotland

Berkeley, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Comrie vs. Plockton? 1st visit to Scotland

My family of four will be visiting Scotland in July for the first time. We will spend 2-3 nights in Edinburgh. We would like some advice on where to spend our other 6 nights. We were thinking about spending 3 nights in two different villages in Scotland. We have heard wonderful things about Comrie and Plockton.

We prefer to experience the real culture of small villages to 'touristy' over crowded regions. Although we understand that some tourist spots are worth the crowds.

If anyone could lead us to a charming village where we could bike or hike, see castles perhaps, and just enjoy the charm of the local environs, we would very much appreciate it.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comrie vs. Plockton? 1st visit to Scotland

I like both your choices - although neither will be tourist free.

I'm not sure Comrie would have occured to me - but it is a nice village in a lovely part of the country - plus it has one of my favourite tea rooms anywhere (The Granary - although I heard rumours it may be for sale?) if you are thinking of Perthshire, Kenmore is another attractive option.

Plockton is lovely too - and a nice contrast from Comrie giving you a view of the west.

Go for it!

Berkeley, California
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Comrie vs. Plockton? 1st visit to Scotland

Thank you for your response. I am sorry we've been away for a few days.

Kenmore looks lovely. We've actually started to think about the area around Nairn or on the Black Isle. We saw quite a wonderful house there.

We are thinking three nights somewhere east of Inverness and then three nights on the west coast (Isle of Skye?)

Do you know of a good base to stay on the coast east of Inverness?

Edinburgh
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comrie vs. Plockton? 1st visit to Scotland

I would certainly head west this year. The weather has been much better and the scenery is always more spectacular. The food and seafood in the North west of scotland is excellent. If you need a stop on the way up try Glengarry Castle Hotel near Fort William or further up at Achnasheen there is Ledgowan Lodge Hotel. Kylesku Hotel in the far north West is a great seafood stop and the Ceilidh Place in Ullapool is a very special place to stay. Stop there on a Thursday night and enjoy the best of Scottish Music in their clubhouse.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Comrie vs. Plockton? 1st visit to Scotland

Portree, on the Isle of Skye is very cute as well.

5. Re: Comrie vs. Plockton? 1st visit to Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Plockton