We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

midges??

Braintree
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
midges??

My husband and I are looking forward to 2 weeks in west scotland at the end of Aug this year.We will be travelling around Mallaig,Skye,Kyle of Lochalsh and Plockton. Whilst watching a TV prog the other night about Applecross, the thing that struck us was the mention of numerous midges!! Anyone got any experience of this? Are they talking about mosquitoes or just other flies.I've got plenty of citronella oil if that's the answer.

Thanks for any advice given

alipet

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: midges??

ww.walkhighlands.co.uk/info/Nature/Midges

glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: midges??

hi

scottish summer pretty much means midges, you're ok if they don't like you but they can make your life miserable if they like you (my hubby & dog are in this category!) we have tried many things, citronella being one of them however another few "deterants"

Some people swear by Avon Skin So Soft, the smellier the better, so much so that some of the out door shops up here sell it :) doesn't work for hubby but i know it does work for some.

Lavender oil - same idea as citronella but lavender oil is great for treating bites too as it is one of the few oils you can put on skin neat

Deet - a lot of the out door shops sell midge repellants which contain Deet and this seems to have been the most successful both for the dog and hubby.

Midges pretty much like anything damp like woodland or the seashore in places with seaweed. they also tend to come out at dusk. however, if you are prepared with some (or all!) of the above, you should be fine.

www.lochnesscottages.co.uk/midges-ticks.htm

look at the above for more info or just search google for scottish midge, there are plenty of results :)

enjoy your trip!

jen

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: midges??

alipet -

if you find the answer,you can make yourself a fortune.

The program was about a guy called Monty Hall, who was living in a renovated beachcombers cottage for 6 months (little or no electricity or water). His only companion was a dog, and he kept a couple of pigs, which were shown in a dense cloud of midges. You can draw your own conclusions...

Yes - they can be a problem, but a breeze disperses them and it is rarely flat calm on the west of Scotland.

Midges are Scotland's protection from being overrun by tourists....

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: midges??

Avon Silk So Soft, very good.

Braintree
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: midges??

Thank you for your reply-the link was really useful. I had heard of Avons skin so soft before. I actually got some for my daughter when she was in Uganda!Still looking forward to visiting your amazing country and hope the sun shines for us. Bye !

Braintree
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: midges??

Thank you so much for your answer. We are hoping the sun shines for 2 weeks!! I will come prepared with various potions and candles. Looking forward to visiting whatever. Bye for now !!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: midges??

I'm from Wisconsin and have vacationed up north close to the Minnesota border where mosquitos are the state bird and while midgies are nasty, they are not the same as mosquitos. I've had whole weeks of walking in the highlands in August and early September and only been bothered a very few times. Now, mind you, when I was bothered, I was really bothered and very glad that I had a midgie hat. (Basically netting that goes over your head and keeps them away from your face.) I brought along some serious REI Jungle Juice and my hat and the very few times they were I was fine. I picked up the midgie hat in Edinburgh at sport shop just off Prince's street. It came in the cutest little bag that I could tie on to my pack. ; ) If you are planning on doing some walking (hiking in American) you should think about more than citronella in my opinion. You may not need it all, but just like the Boy Scouts it's best to be prepared. Pam

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: midges??

One of the dangers of midges is that they carry a virus called "effenbeasticoccus". The symptoms are an inability to stay still and repeated cursing and swearing.

;o)

Benfleet,essex
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: midges??

While in SharmEL Sheihk early this year we came across product in a can called OFF it was great for midges,flys ect. But i do not think you can buy it in UK,it might be available online tho

enjoy

10. Re: midges??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 05:26
Get answers to your questions about Plockton