We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family 9 &11yr old kids in august

Which Algonquin Provincial Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
belgium
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Family 9 &11yr old kids in august

Where to start?!

It all sounds great, we want running water in a cabin and for a few days and then a resort style place for a week, and then plan to visit niagara falls and Ontario . Any suggestions? I would like an area of the park that has a sandy beach for the kids .....is the canoing safe for kids?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family 9 &11yr old kids in august

Hi Belgium2970,

Welcome to the ALGONQUIN PARK TRAVEL FORUM.

<< It all sounds great, we want running water in a cabin and for a few days and then a resort style place for a week, >>

Are you dedicating BOTH Weeks to the Algonquin Park area... or is week 2 going to be spent elsewhere in Ontario? (Such as the nearby Muskoka Lakes area... or perhaps at one of our Great Lake Beach Destinations?)

You'll want a couple of days for Niagara Falls & the Niagara Region... you can find more about that part on TA's NIAGARA FALLS and NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE TRAVEL PAGES and respective TRAVEL FORUMS.

<< I would like an area of the park that has a sandy beach for the kids .....is the canoing safe for kids? >>

The Lakes for the most part in Algonquin are what many would call "mountain type" type lakes"... spring fed or snowmelt fed, and formed by a receding glacier... and usually surrounded by dense forest... so not normally wide expanses of sand etc for a beach... they have more in common with their Canadian Shield topography... more often than not there are some shallow areas that gradually drop off... but also just as likely to find lakes surrounded by rocks and granite rock cuts

Lake of Two Rivers has a decent beach area... by Canadian Shield terms... in that there is a sandy portion and a gradual sloping bottom.

You can use GOOGLE to see photos... or here on TripAdvisor there certainly are a lot of photos submitted by TA Members (see the PHOTOS button to the left of this screen).

As for canoeing... it is a "tippy" activity... and not something someone should undertake without some instruction... my kids at summer camp, certainly learned how to manoeuvre a canoe over the years... but everyone will tell you that at some point you end up in the water (even the most experienced canoeist). So knowing how to right a canoe (can be tricky) or how to get back in (can be difficult) is important... and because of the tippiness of a canoe... EVERYONE should wear a Personal Floatation Device (life jacket) at all times.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family 9 &11yr old kids in august

As far as a cottage or a resort type cottage look at the prior forum I posted about Oxtonge Lake which is just outside Algonquin Park. As far as more upscale resorts look at the Deerhurst Resort. which is just outside of Huntsville and about 30 miles from Algonquin Park. The G-8 Summit was held there last year. Another upscale family resort in the Muskoka area is Clevelands House which also has a nearby Marriott under I believe the same ownership. They are located in Minnet Ontario.

If you are staying near Algonquin Park the following companies offer 1/2 day and full day organized canoe outings which are described on their websites.

portagestore.com/

algonquinoutfitters.com/

As far as sandy beaches in Algonquin Park they are scattered throughout the 3000 sq km interior. Many of the campgrounds have sandy beaches and the only public beach in Algonquin I am aware of is at Lake of Two Rivers. If the sandy beaches are important those in Oztongue Lake are probably the nicest in the area.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
1,121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family 9 &11yr old kids in august

Everyone views AP differently but I would suggest a guided canoeing camping trip into the park for a few days, to me that is what ap is about. Canoeing is an art but with a guide a little e practice our kids did well. Nothing better than camping in the wilderness. Lots of day hiking trails as well, there is a luxury resort http://www.arowhonpines.ca/ as well. Not many sandy beaches the area is pretty rocky although some resorts have them (check out deerhurst as above. When are you going, timing is important beecause traffic and crowds vary with season or holiday weekends.

belgium
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family 9 &11yr old kids in august

Middle of august. Thanks for all the tips

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family 9 &11yr old kids in august

Hi Belgium2970,

You are very welcome... glad to help... if you have any more Questions just ask.

Here are some websites that might come in handy as you do your research...

Wikipedia – Algonquin Provincial Park = …wikipedia.org/wiki/Algonquin_Provincial_Park

Ontario Parks – Algonquin Provincial Park = http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/algo.html

Friends of Algonquin Provincial Park = http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/

And of course there is also a wealth of info here on the TA TRAVEL PAGES for the Park (Buttons to the left of this screen) and here in the TRAVEL FORUM as well… you can browse thru past topics… and TA FORUMS are also searchable… just type any keyword(s) into the SEARCH BOX found at the top of the List of Forum Topics

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
1,121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family 9 &11yr old kids in august

Just avoid ciivic holiday monday weekend, first monday in august, very crowded, horrible traffic.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Family 9 &11yr old kids in august

Yes long weekends in the park are usually just packed. I'd also recommend a new transportation service that now allows people to get on a bus directly from Toronto to the park. It'll probably be cheaper than renting a car and paying for gas these days... check them out at www.parkbus.ca

8. Re: Family 9 &11yr old kids in august

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Algonquin Provincial...