We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIM Tip Sheet?

Indiana
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
VIM Tip Sheet?

Hello all,

Heading to VIM for the first time in July and was wondering if there was a "Tip Sheet" like some people have put together for some of the other Riviera Maya resorts?

Thanks and can't wait for July 17!!!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,441 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIM Tip Sheet?

There's no tip sheet that I'm aware of but there are several frequent posters on this forum who've been to the VIM multiple times. So, ask away and we'll do our best to answer all your questions.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIM Tip Sheet?

No tip sheet but-breakfast is served in 2 places, lunch is served in the same two places and sometimes by the pool,things are made fresh at both, for lunch you may like them to grill shrimp for you then serve it yourself over pasta or rice,when you can't decide what to order at dinner-each of you can order something different and you can try both, it is okay to have dinner at one restaurant then hit the Japanese for fried ice cream around 9:30,bring a flashlight just in case they have a storm and lose power,bring your own pool float if you really want one-currently they have no air compressor but, they will blow it up for you with a hand pump-I would tip for that,I would tip for a lot of things,take the bike tour ASAP to get to know the resort,use the little map they give you to find short cuts, be quiet when cutting through buildings and using elevators because it is the nice thing to do, say hello to Arturo at Le Marche breakfast for me, ask Veronica at the pool bar to make you a mud slide without alcohol if you are not drinking, carry the journal with you so you know the times and locations of activities, dance to Gangham Style at the pool at 1:00 and have fun.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIM Tip Sheet?

Good tip Darlene: Make sure you visit Veronica at the poo bar. Definitely one of our favorites.

Rocklin, California
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: VIM Tip Sheet?

Going in late July-early August. Think we will avoid that bar.

Indiana
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIM Tip Sheet?

Thanks for the response. I will try to put together some questions and ask them all at one time. Hate to keep posting questions on numerous threads.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIM Tip Sheet?

Here are some other suggestions.

You'll probably get lost in the first day or two until you get the lay of the land. Just ask anyone passing by which way is it to where ever you are going.

Most centrally located rooms are 1-6 and 12-14. There is at least one room in every category in those buildings.

Best restaurants depends upon your taste. You will need long pants and closed toe shoes for the French Restaurant and it is worth bringing them because IMHO the French is not to be missed. Last time we were there their was a piano player every night from 7 to 9 PM. We also find the Baked Alaska a very fun dessert.

The Japanese Restaurant has three sections you can eat in. You have the Suchi bar, the main restaurant and the teppanyaki tables. The Teppanyaki tables require a reservation that you must make in person at 2:30 PM on the day you want to go there unless you buy the Privilege package.

We also enjoy the Indonesian Restaurant and like sitting outside to eat there.

The summer has a lot of mosquitoes after dark so bring insect repellant. Our first year there (September) we went to the steak house and ordered dinner only to abandon our seats as we were the mossies main course that night. Also be sure to bring enough sunscreen as the cost there is pretty pricey.

I recommend a flashlight at night. The lighting is marginal so a flashlight is handy in walking the grounds. It's also helpful if you are eating outside to read the menu.

The resort has a big footprint so be prepared to walk a bit. We like doing that to help walk off some of the calories we consume. We do a walk each morning from the resort to the main road (it's about a mile) just for the exercise. IF you want to go to PDC and you want to take a collectivo, the walk to the main road is quite pretty and an easy one.

The plaza at night is a great spot to drink and be entertained before and after dinner. They have top shelf and call liquors, but you have to ask for them when you order your drink.

If you bring your computer and want to use it in your room you will need a ethernet cable. There is wireless in the main lobby and at the main pool, but other than those you have wired internet access.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
231 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VIM Tip Sheet?

I know the regulars will give you the lowdown. I can only add a couple of things. One your mini bar will not keep things very cold as it has a door to match the bureau..However if you open the door so the refridgeration unt can circulate the air.. you find your drinks stay COLD.. The maid will close it t again but just open the wooden door open (leaving the minfridge closed though

Copperpennies on the flor near your door will deter the ants .. and if you order room service do not leave it outside your door.., thern you are guaranteed to get ants.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VIM Tip Sheet?

I'm so glad the above poster said something about the fridge. Lots of complaints from all resorts about that. You have to have air circulate so the fridge can do it's job. I always leave the outside door open and even pull the fridge out about an inch or two. It really helps.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 00:29
9. Re: VIM Tip Sheet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto