We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pool Floaties at the VIM-are they gone?

Glenview, Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pool Floaties at the VIM-are they gone?

I just read a review of the VIM in which it said there were no pool Floaties at the pool anymore and it recommended bringing your own. I know it has always been a sore point with many people that some guests would take them for themselves for the day, thus depriving others of their use, but I would hope that that the net result isn't that the management has removed them entirely. If they have, I guess it's another case where the actions of a selfish few have resulted in hampering everybody's enjoyment. I hope that they were wrong and maybe they just overlooked them, but I somehow doubt it.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,841 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pool Floaties at the VIM-are they gone?

They get tatty and worn and given the guest issues with them, perhaps they've decided not to replace them (again).

I know this happened once before - on one of my visits to the VIM, there were no pool floaties at all. On my next visit, floaties were back again but they'd also had a change in General Manager. I don't know if the two things are related!

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pool Floaties at the VIM-are they gone?

Back in early July, there were a handful of the thick blue mat-type floats, some in better shape than others. There was also a supply of inflatable floats left by prior guests.

We didn't hang out at the main pool at all, but made daily trips there to exchange towels. I noticed a large inflatable chair-type float over one lounger several days in a row-- I think people thought it was reserving that chair. At the Golden pool, a staff member would collect "dead" inflatable floats a couple times during the week, and probably dispose of them.

We took our own floats (SpringFloats) and kept them next to our loungers, and stored them on our balcony when we got back to the room. Only once did we have an issue when someone borrowed one of our floats, but it was no big deal.

Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pool Floaties at the VIM-are they gone?

I heard that most of them were destroyed in the storm they had back in June and they would be replacing them as the busy season approaches. We always bring our own Swimways though!

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pool Floaties at the VIM-are they gone?

We will be there in a week. The wife always brings her own floatie and then we gift it to a newbie on our last full day.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pool Floaties at the VIM-are they gone?

We were there last week and there were no floaties. No problem because we always bring our own.

Glenview, Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Pool Floaties at the VIM-are they gone?

We usually bring one along also, I just thought it unfortunate if they have decided to not provide them anymore . If they were destroyed in a storm that would certainly present a problem, but I do know that they were enjoyed by the guests when they were avaiable. Thanks for the responses and hope you have a good time Don Carlos, but then again, I know you will.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pool Floaties at the VIM-are they gone?

I don't know. I left a couple there in 2010, think they're still around? A silver one that we used as our portable bar cuz it was full of drink holder type "pockets" and a pink floatie chair. Anyone seen them? ;)

We too, like DonCarlos gift them to a guest on our last day.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 18:20
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pool Floaties at the VIM-are they gone?

Tentatively going to VIM next week..disappointed to hear about the floats, but I can bring my own I suppose. Do you bring a pump or is there any thing to inflate them while there?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
358 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pool Floaties at the VIM-are they gone?

Sara B - the entertainment staff will help you with that ... just let someone know you need it blown up

Glenview, Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Pool Floaties at the VIM-are they gone?

Last March when we were there and brought Floaties with, I was under the understanding that I could get them blown up, but I was not successful in finding a way to get it done and eventually resorted to my lung power. We are going to be going back for the fifth time and was hoping to leave the Floaties behind, but it looks like I will be buying and packing them again. With weight restrictions getting tighter, I worry about being overweight too.

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto