We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned as well

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Topic
Just returned as well

Just dropping a note to see if anyone had any questions on the resort. We stayed a full week and tried to do as much as time allowed....of course you find your rhythm though. Many of you helped me out prior to this trip, just wanted to return the favor.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned as well

Going in February. I know the resort is NICE, but my bigger question is, did you have FUN? And were you bugged by the way they do the swim towels/cards? Any particularly good food or drinks? Oh and did they play music by the pool?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned as well

Sunny...We had a blast. This was our second time and thought it was better than the first except for one thing. Instead of having a DJ in the plaza with dancing outdoors they brought that inside and was LOUD and nobody went...Might be the time of year? Not sure, but it didnt seem to get much attention.

Towel Cards- For us not a problem. You get cards at check in. Return towels to one of two shacks when you want dry ones. We spent most of our time either in the pool or in the ocean, so our towels dried most of the day. Hint if you want to switch up more than once during day...send the wife. At checkout leave in room. EASY.

For us the food got better this time with help from this forum. Last time we were not impressed. I actually had a post about fav. food, check it out. For us these stood out:

Mexican: Tequila Shrimp and Beef

Mar and Tierra: Filet(best of hotel) really surprised us. Bas-fish dish(see menus in top questions)

French: Filet again, potato and leek soup(better than lobster bisque), creme brûlée, and baked Alaska(for show than good)

Italian: Beef Medallions, bruschetta(different but good) and the salmon.

We were there for two theme nights; Caribbean and Mexican. For the Caribbean they had roast pig and a the Mexican they had pork tacos...both to die for.

Had filet 3 times between the two of us a the french and 2 times they nailed it....BUT Tierra beat it.

Hear is a tip...Order some favs from TA peeps and try some of your own at same dinner. Take a few bites and check different things out. If you dont like it, ditch it.

Our daily routine was breakfast then off to pool..flop between pool bars- there is music on one side. It was not crazy but very fun..met some very cool couples and the drinks flow pretty freely. At 5 the pool bars close, so we head to ocean around 3:00 for half the week it was very calm. Finish wading around with our big drink mugs in the ocean(bring them if you want to hang in the water for a bit) That water does not get old. We met some couples out in the ocean as well...no beach time. Then hit the beach bar for a couple of hours(most fun bar in our opinion) Antonio will make you his "special" and keep you laughing. Then went to dinner around 8 and then listened to the Imperial Band which was very good.

To be honest, we had a lot of fun....actually my liver is thanking me for leaving. We will be back soon, we have been two years in a row. Prob, switch it up next time. I would not worry about the fun factor. It is a touch laid back vs a party Cancun atmosphere....so it really depends on what your looking for. Is the entertainment top notch...Nope. Does the resort and swimmable beach area make up for it...Yup.

Hope this helps....still running on very little sleep. Met Don Carlos in fact. Wish we had more time to chill.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned as well

I have a couple questions: 1) What, if anything, did you discover on your second trip that you did not experience on your first visit to VIM; 2) if the pool bar closes at 5pm, what time does the beach bar close? We like to end our day at the pool bar, but I remember from last year that we thought the party was ending too early. We did not have good experiences at the beginning of our trip with the beach bar, so we avoided it for the rest of the trip.

Nov 7 will mark our return to VIM (we were there last Nov) and in my review of last year I said that I truly believed the VIM is a place that will be more enjoyable the second time around. Did you find that to be the case?

Thanks

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned as well

I found our second time around much more satisfying since I had an idea of what we were going into. Using the resources here and your past exp. really helps. For instance, I forgot to mention Ginger, just went to the Sushi bar twice and hibachi once. The show was much better than last year, but not worth the time vs Sushi if you like that. Talked with the chef, I think his name was Alberto, and he has been making sushi for 15 years..its that good. We also ordered a side of pork fried rice. Simple but the best I ever had.

So from the first time I learned to manage my time to the day and activities. We got our routine and went with it. Used points for the Spa twice. Had time for each of us to get 1/2 massage on last day. It was a way to look forward to the last day if that makes any sense...when we left we felt fulfilled. I think the beach bar really depends on the crowd...we had a good one. Everyone was pretty chill and fun. I would give it another try. For us it was putting the day to rest there with some cocktails and friends and getting ready for the night all while our feet were in the sand and looking at the ocean....hard to beat. If the music is to loud, have them lower it....if its not to the bars liking..change it. We all hung pretty well together and the bartenders were great.

Your second time around you already know the resort and have been on here, so you kinda have a good jump on what to and not to do.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned as well

Thanks so much ~ what time did the beach bar close?

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned as well

It was nice meeting you.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned as well

Thanks for the report!

Sounds like they've been more consistent with the towel/card procedures, but it's odd they would ask you to leave the towels in your room on the last day. Other resorts utilizing towel cards would require you to turn in the cards upon checkout. BTW, where was the 2nd towel hut location? The other walk-up building on the same side of the pool?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
516 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned as well

I would like to know what time the beach bar closes as well? I read the swim-up bars close at 5pm, hoping the beach bar is open a bit longer. Thnx Mack for all of your information...

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned as well

Jeff/Alexis, I think the beach bar closed at 8 or 9, not sure exactly....thats one bar we did not close. It did stay open well after dark. Im not sure if they ran it late some nights. The pool bars close at 5. You will see them pulling bottles around 4:30-4;45. You can get them to serve you beer a little later as they are cleaning up.

We are on the search for a different resort this spring. Since we are on the topic of pool and beach bars, are there any resorts that you guys could recommend that has good beach and pool bars?

Same to you Don Carlos and your wife as well.

Geek-We called the front desk to make sure and they said just to leave them in the room which we like since it was just easier at the time. The 2nd towel hut is on the same side of the pool close to end heading towards buildings 1&2 or the other walk out building as you said....has ramp as other.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
516 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned as well

Thank You ! :-) Three more weeks....

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto