We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin vs. CRT question

texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Valentin vs. CRT question

We are going to the VIM in June rather than the CRT we have gone to the past 3 years because we are travelling with a group this time and the VIM seems to have something for everyone and more evening to dos. Before we went to CRT the first time, a read a bunch of comments about how far the walk is from main building to rooms/beach/lobby and once there didn't know what the issue was. How does the VIM compare?

Any other thoughts of what other differences to expect?

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
634 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin vs. CRT question

I haven't been to CRT, but I I got the impression from what I had read in reviews that the VIM grounds were huge and that you needed to ride in the golf carts to get around. I found this not to be the case at all. We stayed in building 5...I timed the walk from our building to the restaurants several times. It took about 4 minutes. We do not walk at a slow pace, but also not particularly fast. The pool was right outside our building...30 second walk at most. The beach was about 5 minutes. I don't consider these walking times to be difficult.

The grounds look larger on the map than they really are.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin vs. CRT question

Disclaimer: I haven't been to CRT, but I know how to use a map. :-)

Using WikiMapia, you can calculate the distance yourself. I did a quick check of distance from edge-of-beach to a central area, and the distances were within ~50m of each other (in a straight line, "as the crow flies").

VIM: wikimapia.org/…b

centered on La Plaza, 470m to beach

CRT: wikimapia.org/…b

centered on Reception, 520m to beach

You can see how large the entire VIM property is by looking at the satellite view-- CRT is fairly compact in comparison.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
708 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin vs. CRT question

I haven't been to CRT either but what I can tell you after 4 trips to VIM is that the walking from most areas is really not bad, unless you have mobility issues.

What I would suggest is using your map the first couple of times and finding the shortcuts between buildings (pathways that run in between), that will save you some footsteps vs. following the main roads. The other thing I would recommend is requesting a room in building 4 or 5 (if you book their basic room) as these are the most central to everything.

Or, you can just remember you are on vacation and slowly stroll through the lush grounds and take in the beautiful surroundings :-)

texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin vs. CRT question

Thanks everyone - no mobility issues and really enjoy the walk through pretty grounds - just curious what to tell newbies to RM resorts going with us what to expect. Its all good :)

Texas
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin vs. CRT question

I've complained about the size of VIM in the past but I am also naturally drawn to smaller/more compact resorts because of my ADD and the need to constantly move around. VIM really isn't that bad, we've stayed in building 4 as well as building 2 and while we felt like building 2's walk to the beach was worse due to the lack of shade it was never a huge issue. We could get from the Don Miguel bar (where we'd sometimes enjoy the flaming coffees for a late breakfast) to the beach in about 5 minutes total, and that's taking it easy. And I agree with the above suggestion to get familiar with the resort, part of the complaint of walking from our 1st visit was our fault since we definitely made some loops around due to not studying the map properly. The walkways have tons of trees/vegetation around them so it's easy to veer off in a direction you weren't intending to go but they do have signs everywhere. The sidewalk lighting was a bit poor at night (or at least was last year) so that can get a bit tricky but after a good day there you should start figuring it all out.

VIM also offers a resort bike tour that I've seen others mention as a great way to get to know the resort. We found new stuff on all of our 3 trips there just by exploring.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin vs. CRT question

VIM and CRT are actually our last 2 resorts. Check out my reviews of each if you are interested for comparison.

With that said, I would say that I preferred VIM over CRT in pretty much every category. I also preferred the walk of the property at VIM from Room to Beach. We were in a Silver Suite which is pretty much the furthest buildings from the beach. At the VIM, we walked by the pool, saw what was going on, etc. At CRT (as you know) you walk along the path between the building in basically a forest/mangrove, then take the long walk across the bridge and then you get to the pool and then the ocean. I did not like the octagon brick pavers all around the pool at CRT. Walking barefoot was a little tough if you did not land in the middle of the paver.

Finally, at least when we were at CRT breakfast was served right next to the lobby which made it an even longer walk to the ocean. At VIM, we could choose to have breakfast out by the ocean or by the lobby. My wife always chose the beach.

WV
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentin vs. CRT question

CRT seems shorter but more direct. VIM is a lovely stroll with various pathways and choices. We opted for breakfast near the beach as well. We have stayed in the goldens, emeralds and basic rooms. All good choices with the goldens being the most isolated with longer walks.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
930 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valentin vs. CRT question

We are much older than the average VIM guest and Mrs. K has mobility issues. We were at the VIM last week and she commented on how walkable the resort is. We were in building 4 and could get to any section of the resort in less than 5 minutes and that is walking slowly. I really don't understand why anyone would want to take a cart around the place, unless they were staying in the southern section of the Emerald Suites. We were at the CRT a couple years ago and found it equally walkable. By comparison, we were at the Palladium Royal Suites earlier this year and used their cart service extensively - the Palladium is huge.

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valentin vs. CRT question

kjtrdgfb:

Thank you for your feedback on this thread. I found it very valuable. Hubby and I are also older and I also have some mobility issues, plus hubby has good and bad days with his knees.

I am always researching for places to try and we have stayed at CRTx2 and enjoyed it but have been curious as to whether we would find VIM too hard to get around so you have put my mind at rest quite a bit. It does sound like it would be a bit more lively than CRT.

We are snorkelers and have read that the snorkeling is very good at the Palladium, so my question there is did you feel you were able to adequately enjoy the resort by using their cart service, given its size ? We have never stayed at a huge resort so would we feel overwhelmed?

We have stayed right in Akumal Bay previously for the ease of the snorkeling there but our choices are ABR which we didn't really enjoy, Hotel Akumal Caribe which is a bit pricey for a non AI hotel , or a condo.

Sorry to 5oclock for the mini-hijack :) :) but this is a very intesting thread with good info!

Edited: 05 October 2013, 23:52
Wyoming
Level Contributor
930 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valentin vs. CRT question

Judyper - as you probably know, the on demand cart service at the Palladium is only available to those staying in the upgraded Royal Suites section. Carts also run throughout the resort for other guests but are not nearly as frequent. As far as being able to adequately enjoy the Palladium while using the cart service, yes you indeed can. You can go anywhere at any time and carts will pick you up within a few minutes of calling them. We love the Palladium and will probably return there next May.

K

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto