We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon at VIM

North Carolina
Level Contributor
266 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon at VIM

Greetings all-

We are considering booking VIM for our honeymoon in May 2014. Couple questions that hopefully someone can help us out with:

1) Does the resort do any upgrades for honeymooners? On that note, is it cheaper to try to upgrade after booking (calling ahead or asking at the desk) or cost the same as when booking?

2) Has anyone had an issue with requesting a king bed and not getting one for the Golden Jr Suite. Obviously a honeymoon wouldn't be as fun with two double beds. :)

3) How is the vibe there? Do most people keep to themselves or is it a more fun (not party) atmosphere?

Thanks in advance!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon at VIM

I think the VIM would be a lovely place for a honeymoon. In general though, many, many people are coming to the resort, and to Mexico in general, on a honeymoon, or some other special occasion they deem equally as important as you do your honeymoon. That being said, book the room category you want, and that you can be happy with to receive that room, then, an upgrade would be a happy surprise, and not getting an upgrade would not end in being disappointed. Same with the double bed/king bed. You will not be guaranteed a king and may very well end up with 2 doubles so if you choose to book that room category be prepared for that possibility.

The VIM is a large resort. The swim up bar and large pool tend to be lively, however there are many people who report they have found little quiet spots along the lazy river type pool. I think you could probably find a little of both vibes (quiet and fun) and get the best of both worlds.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
North Carolina
Level Contributor
266 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon at VIM

Thanks for the reply.

Has anyone else had trouble finding a package price with flight for VIM on various travel sites?

Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon at VIM

some sites don't book that far out. As for the room/upgrade...it should not be a problem getting a room with a king in May. It depends what level you are going for. Upgrades are not frequent. it usually depends on the capacity of those rooms/building as easier for housekeeping to keep it distributed. The golden suites have king on 3rd floor only. We have always emailed a week away and have been accomadated. You will love this place. There is fun to be had, yet also quiet areas for honeymooners and people like me.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon at VIM

I always book the room catagory that I want because upgrades are not guaranteed to be available. If I recall correctly, the Silver and Emerald Suites are pretty reasonable and give you the King bed. We were offered an upgrade from a golden swim-up to a diamond suite when we arrived for 750.00 which was less expensive than if we had originally booked it. However, a honeymoon is not the time I would want the added stress of worrying about whether or not a king bed will be given. I believe that the resort does its best to provide the king bed as requested but if its not in a room type that guarantees it, you are at the mercy of availability.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
266 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon at VIM

Thanks for all the hlep. We like the additional space of the Golden Suites and the Emerald seems a bit more pricey. We may take the risk.

Is the location of the Silver Suites better than Emerald in terms of closest to restaurants/bars?

Delaware
Level Contributor
810 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon at VIM

Yes, the Silver Suites sit back closer to the lobby areas. For a Honeymoon I'd definitely recommend a Golden or Emerald. We really liked both, but the Emerald was amazing. Still one of our favorite rooms we've ever stayed in.

The walk to the lobby from the Emerald/Golden rooms may be 5- 10 tops/ mins, it's not that far. One of favorite things about this resort is the beautiful walking paths with music playing throughout the property.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon at VIM

We are on our honeymoon and didn't get a free upgrade. We only booked a Deluxe Suite but we are more than happy with it!

It's definitely cheaper to upgrade at the hotel than with your travel agent from what I've heard.

But our thoughts were that we spend limited time in the room and its a great size anyway! Plus well-equipped and building 4 is ideally located between the pool and restaurants plus close to the beach.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon at VIM

Building 4 = my favourite location.

Happy honeymoon!

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon at VIM

Thanks!

Building 4 is perfect for us - we are pool lovers rather than the beach and so ideally located and lovely 3rd floor view of the jungle.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
266 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon at VIM

Great info thanks guys. What seems to be average age there?

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto