We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

age limit?

Lumberton, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
age limit?

I am curious regarding age restrictions at VIM. Recently returned from there and would like to bring my boys(ages 18&20) and their girlfriends (also 18&20) this spring. Thanks for any help!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: age limit?

Well if it is AO, it is generally 18+

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: age limit?

The age limit is 18 but honestly, I think your boys (and their girlfriends) will be bored senseless.

Don't get me wrong, I love the VIM but in my late teens/early twenties, I would have wanted somewhere quite a bit more lively. For that reason, I'd politely suggest that staying close to or in Playa del Carmen where the kids can have easy access to bars and clubs will be way more fun for them. Another option would be Cancun.

Lumberton, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: age limit?

Thanks Llisa for your suggestion. My boys are not much into the bar/club scene but who knows! We are still considering our options, we just loved VIM so much! Still not 100% decided yet!

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: age limit?

Have you considered Secrets Silversands? Many 20 somethings both times we were there.

Lumberton, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: age limit?

Just don't want to go where there are small children, no offense intended. Just had a couple unpleasant experiences on vacations past.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: age limit?

Secrets Silversands is adult only and, IMHO, comparable to the VIM in many respects. I just got back from two weeks there and found it quite a bit more lively and social than the VIM. The beach at SSS isn't nearly as nice as the one at the VIM though and I prefer the food at the VIM too.

If you want to stay close to town, check out the Royal Playa del Carmen. If you want a good compromise between luxury/pampering and proximity to town, then look at the Royal Hideaway.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: age limit?

Sandi, we went this May and saw young people , in the 20th. I also want to bring my 18 years twins next year and I had the same question. I think they will enjoy plaza in the night, and when they really want something else send them to Coco Bongo.

When in spring you are coming?

Lumberton, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: age limit?

We will be there May 17-22! How about you?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: age limit?

May 21-June 4th..

10. Re: age limit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto