We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoes - for Comfort!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Shoes - for Comfort!

I know there is a lot of walking at the VIM, and I'm preparing for it. I actually do like to walk, and I have found that when I stay at the larger resorts, I tend to gain less weight on vacation. However -- shoes are my problem!

Does anyone else have this problem? I can put on tennis shoes and walk for 3 miles at home, no problem. But I can't wear tennis shoes in Mexico -- I tried one year at the Palladium, and it was just too hot. Also, I certainly don't want to wear tennis shoes with my bathing suit, or with my dress or capri pants at night!

Its not like I am planning on wearing stilletto pumps or anything. I bought two relatively comfortable pairs of dress sandals before my 4 night vacation at the Golden Parnassus in November. The Golden Parnassus is SMALL -- and yet, once again, my feet would hurt by the time I got back to my room from dinner!

And I can't even imagine making the trek from my room to the beach, or to the lobby in flip flops!

I'm 50, and I know I have slightly bad feet, I just do. I'm thinking of taking some kind of bag/purse in which to carry the shoes I plan on wearing at dinner (or carry my flip flops in, on the way to the beach) and trying to find some shoes to wear walking around that are LIKE tennis shoes, but not tennis shoes.

Does anybody else have any other tips or tricks.

I remember at the Palladium, I got blisters and I don't want that happening again!

I had a blast, but it would have been even more fun if I could have been comfortable the entire time.

I have even considered wearing Crocs! I've seen people do it, and I KNOW they are feeling far more comfortable than I am, even if they look silly.

The big thing is, I WANT to do a lot of walking, and I don't want to start feeling like I have to curtail what we want to do, just because my feet hurt! I can already hear myself whining that we have to eat breakfast at the beach restaurant, because my feet hurt too much to walk up to the lobby.

What to do, what to do?

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
807 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoes - for Comfort!

Blister strips

The thinner the sole on your tennis shoes, the better. Onitsuka Tiger by Asics are the best I have found for this. Thinner soles makes walking better. Thick soled tennis shoes should really only ever be worn by runners.

Gatineau
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoes - for Comfort!

Hello, I can't go without my heels, I always have a pair of little ballerina type slippers that I walk around to and from and they fold easily in my small hand bag.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoes - for Comfort!

I have been checking out Teva Sandals, they are not cheap, but apparently they are comfortable, provide support as well. My feet were not happy last year either ... so am going to give these a try.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoes - for Comfort!

I've had great luck with Kenneth Cole Reaction sandals. They are a bit more wide than most dress sandals and when I wear them I can walk for miles & miles.

I've also done the whole wear flip flops then change into nicer shoes and vice versa. I always carry my insulin/glucometer and a decent sized camera so carrying around a larger bag is never an issue. I actually found a really cute tote that has the perfect compartment to keep lined with something and put shoes in.

You could also look for some of the more supportive and comfortable flats. I have a pair of Coach flats that I got really cheap at a discount store that look good & much better to walk around in than flip flops. I tend to slip and fall a lot so walking in wet/sandy flip flops isn't my 1st choice ever.

All I can say is that no matter how great the drinks taste and how invincible you think you are don't walk across the wooden pool bridge barefooted. Apparently I thougth I was Superwoman and did that around noon in May...had blisters on all parts of my feet the rest of the trip :(

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoes - for Comfort!

At home in NYC, I wear nice shoes. In Paris, or Merida, I bring nice shoes. But, for most of the day, walking around, I wear Merrells sandals. They're pretty ugly, but not as ugly as Teva's or my Keens (thick treads, good for ruins and cenotes)

A couple of years ago, I bought Obeo sandals. They are shoes my mother would wear, but they are comfortable and I wear them when I need to be a little dressier.

To walk around some huge all-inclusive, you would have to pay me to wear heels. And, any place with a slippery marble or tile floor - no. Talk about accidents waiting to happen - especially when wet.

Whatever you do, buy them now and be sure to break them in before your trip.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 21 January 2014, 22:10
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoes - for Comfort!

Hey I just checked out the Kenneth Cole sandals. Very nice! Thanks for the tip Kelli.

I always bring along my Clarks sandals. I've had all different styles and have walked miles in them without hurting my feet. Problem is now I'm down to 2 pairs and the summer stock hasn't hit the stores here yet. Good thing I still have 37 days.........can't believe I said that.

I have found that my slips and falls seem to have some sort of direct correlation to my mojito and vino blanco count. This is according to DH of course! ;)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoes - for Comfort!

All great tips! Thank you! Oh -- and a reminder from a couple people about something I totally forgot about -- slipping on that beautiful Mexican tile! One pair of flip flops that I have is worse than bare feet on that tile --- talk about hydroplaning!

I think I'm going to do both -- purchase a good, comfortable pair of sandals -- one of the kinds ya'll helpfully mentioned. I've actually meant to do that two trips ago, and never got around to it. My DH will say I did -- because he'll be thinking of the dressier sandals I bought, that are really comfortable -- until you walk a couple of blocks. I'll have to sneak out without him and look at the Tevas, or Merrills or other "better" sandals. He thinks I have way too many shoes already, LOL. Men!

I also think the ballerina type slippers sounds like a good idea, a bag to carry shoes is a good idea, and maybe a pair of tennis shoes with thin soles - preferably if I can find a pair that don't look to tennis shoey -- is that a word, shoey?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shoes - for Comfort!

I'm not sure if there are Marshall stores near where either of you live (Sherry & S&B) but I've found some really good deals on Kenneth Cole shoes there. My last pair I got for $29 and Macy's was still selling them for $79.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shoes - for Comfort!

We do have Mashalls and TJ Maxx, but like Sherry said, I am also waiting (impatiently) for the summer stuff to come out everywhere.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shoes - for Comfort!

I love Sketchers "Go Walks" nice and light, breathable, great for walking, and machine washable!

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto