We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIM: Upgrade cost when booking with Hotwire?

North Branford...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
VIM: Upgrade cost when booking with Hotwire?

I am about to book a trip for this April to VIM, and from my research, cheapcaribbean.com and orbitz had the best price - 4 nights for $1,800 total for a standard room. For the golden room it was $2,000. I was about to book, but checked Hotwire just to make sure and it looks like they have it much cheaper - $1,175 for the 4 nights in the standard room.

This is quite a savings, but we would like a jacuzzi in the room if possible. Has anyone had experience getting a free or paid upgrade from standard to golden (not really interested in silver) when booking with Hotwire? Will they even consider it? Thanks.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,419 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIM: Upgrade cost when booking with Hotwire?

Negotiating an upgrade when you get there can result in some cost savings BUT only if an upgrade is available. At times of high occupancy, upgrades aren't available at any price.

So, my standard advice (no matter what resort) is always the same - if an upgraded room is essential to your vacation enjoyment, then book and pay for what you want up front.

If an upgraded room would be nice but not essential, then see what's available (and at what price) when you get there.

You may wish to note that ALL tubs at the VIM are the jacuzzi (jetted) type. In the standard, Deluxe Junior suite, the tub is only big enough for one person but in all the other suites, the tub is big enough for two (or more in the case of the Emeralds).

North Branford...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: VIM: Upgrade cost when booking with Hotwire?

What room type/building would you recommend to ensure as much quiet as possible? I think the $700+ in savings via Hotwire is too much to pass up, so I'll try my luck upgrading if necessary via email or at check-in.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,419 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIM: Upgrade cost when booking with Hotwire?

The Deluxe Junior suites are in buildings 3, 4 and 5 which are the most centrally located buildings in the resort. My favourite is 4 but all of them are good. 3 is closer to the restaurants and 5 is closer to the beach. If you want quiet, ask for a room on the side of the buildings that face south or AWAY from the main pool.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIM: Upgrade cost when booking with Hotwire?

I've gotta throw in a vote for the Emeralds as one of the quietest-- only 2 floors, no elevator noise, 12 rooms per building, off the beaten path so there's no shortcut foot traffic through your building, no central hallways.

But then again, you have to deal with the constant noise from that ocean.

;-)

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIM: Upgrade cost when booking with Hotwire?

We stayed for the first time in Bldg 5 the last time we were there (we've been to VIM six times). I like it the best because of the location nearer the beach and right next to the main pool (4 is next to the pool also, but further from the beach). We overlooked the beach and pool and had no problem with noise in the evening.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
705 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIM: Upgrade cost when booking with Hotwire?

We stayed at the VIM in December and had booked a standard room through Hotwire (we even used the hot rates where the resort name isn't revealed until you pay). I emailed them ahead of time to arrange to pay for an upgrade and we paid for and arranged this before our arrival. We paid $80/night to upgrade to a swim up. Still a great price given we paid $215/night for the basic room through Hotwire.

7. Re: VIM: Upgrade cost when booking with Hotwire?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 05:27
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto