We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Privilege Package

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Privilege Package

Do you recommend upgrading to the privilege package? My husband and I currently have the Silver suite.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,445 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Privilege Package

It's pretty much agreed that the ONLY privilege that might be worth having is the reserved loungers at either the pool or the beach.

I think US$60 per person per day is a bit spendy just for the assurance of having a lounger but then, I don't visit the resort during high season and I'm an early riser anyway. YMMV.

Some people like being able to make dinner reservations, another PP perk. For me, vacations are all about NOT being on a schedule or deciding such things in advance. Again, YMMV.

Everything else that the PP gets you very much falls into the "meh, so what" category.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Privilege Package

I read somewhere they let you rent an unused lounger bed for the day. Can anyone confirm this?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,445 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Privilege Package

Yes, they do rent them by the day. I saw this on their Facebook page earlier today in response to the exact same question:

"Yes we do rent Bali beds when available for $42/day. Please check with a concierge after your arrival for availability on the days that you may want them."

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Privilege Package

$42 seems like a pretty high price for the beds! You don't get total shade and can't adjust them up or down so you can sit.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Privilege Package

Not a fan of the bali beds. And for $42, ya gota be kidding!

Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Privilege Package

We have never went for the privelege package, though some swear by it. Depends what features of it are important to you. We dont care about reservations for restaurants as we are on vacation and dont want to be tied down to a specific time. That is why we love the no reservations needed option at the VIM.

If you eat a ton of lobster, then you might consider the package. If you want it once, pay the $35 just for the meal. I personally hate the big bali beds on the beach. Prefer a lounger under a palapa. If the main pool is too crowded, there is the lazy pool and the silver pool.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Privilege Package

I have never thought about the adjustment aspect of the beds. I don't think I would like to be flat. I just hope our group of four will be able to find some shade. I guess we can trade off waking up and playing the towel game. We were booked with our TA and all the sudden I noticed the price dropped over 400.00 She was able to get us the difference. The only thing is we lost PP. We are okay with that because 430.00 didn't seem like it was worth it for the beds and reservations.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Privilege Package

Thank you for the information... Super excited!

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Privilege Package

Even if the loster is thrown in, PPstill seems expensive. I'm not a fan of the caribbean spiney lobster and I would have to eat several each night to make me think I got my money's worth.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Privilege Package

Katie - I don't think you'll have any issue unless you are a very late sleeper. We would drop our stuff on loungers before breakfast at around 8:30, then return after breakfast for the day. On the beach there were plenty of spots until maybe 10 or 11. We only spent one morning at the main pool and that is where I thought there was probably the least shade... not much available after 9:30. We spent most of our time at the golden pool and there were palapas next to us every day that would go unused/not saved all day long. Same with the palapas on the quiet beach - always lots available. This was our experience last year in early May. None of the crazy getting up at dawn to reserve a spot (and I was up at dawn several mornings just taking a walk - so I would have noticed!)

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto