We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 - 22 year olds at VIM

mid atl
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
18 - 22 year olds at VIM

Traveling with a group of family and friends several 18 - 22 year olds. Interested to find out if VIM is more of a couples oriented resort, or would be enjoyed by such a group.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 - 22 year olds at VIM

There are much better places for the18-22 age. It's a great resort, but not for young singles

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 - 22 year olds at VIM

Totally agree with Surfnorthwest - I love the VIM but if I'd gone there as an 18 - 22 year old, I'd have died of boredom.

If you have a mixed age group, you'll be better off staying closer to either Cancun or Playa del Carmen. That way, if the young 'uns (or any of the old 'uns for that matter) aren't thrilled with whatever entertainment is on offer at your resort, they will have easy access to all the bars, restaurants and nightlife they could possibly want. The problem with remotely located resorts (such at the VIM) is that going off site involves taxis and even if you're sharing the fare, it can still get expensive.

Royal Playa del Carmen would be a good choice and will put you right in the heart of PdC. If you're ok with not going adults only and want something that's easier on the pocket book, check out the Riu resorts in Playacar. If you want a very chill, laid back, great food experience, then look at Royal Hideaway. It's even quieter than the VIM but it is on a fabulous beach and within easy reach of PdC.

Hope this helps and happy researching!

Edited: 22 April 2014, 01:49
mid atl
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 - 22 year olds at VIM

Thank you for your quick replies!

I probably worded this question poorly.

Where we live, the drinking age is 21 and most of these guys/gals will be going to bars for the very first time. PDC unchaperoned is not an option for these noobies.

I have read about the plaza and sports bar both being open until 1:00 am and 2:00 am respectively. I am wondering if this will provide enough opportunities for them.

We have read about the Cozumel pub crawl, which seems line a nice excursion/experience for all of us...

Edited: 22 April 2014, 02:14
Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 - 22 year olds at VIM

I would look at the resorts in playacar. There are several that would be way better suited for your young adults. I agree they would be bored at the Valentin.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 18 - 22 year olds at VIM

Cozumel is doable but it's not exactly next door. You've got a 30 minute or so taxi ride into Playa del Carmen and then you've got the ferry to Cozumel (45 minutes or so, I believe). I don't know where the pub crawl in Coz starts from but if it's not near the ferry port, then you're going to have to take another taxi from there. This might be an ok thing to do during the daytime but I'm not sure I'd fancy that ferry and taxi ride home after an extended session at the bars .... and remember, drinking is the main event at any pub crawl. IMHO, a far more fun and appropriate excursion for everyone would be a trip to Coco Bongo one night.

I understand that you don't want these "kids" going to the bar in PdC unchaperoned but the night life at the VIM is SO laid back and low key, they might end up drinking their faces off just for something to do. At least PdC (or Cancun) will offer a lot more in the way of dance clubs and a variety of entertainment OTHER than drinking. The fact that drinks off the resort will cost additional money (as opposed to the "free" drinks at the resort) could also prove useful in curtailing their intake somewhat.

At the VIM, you've got the evening shows (some are pretty good, some are pretty ho-hum). After that, you've got dancing to a live band until about 11 and then a DJ until around 1 (provided everyone hasn't gone back to their rooms by then). For 20-something honeymooners, 30-40 something folks on a "get away from the kids" trip and anyone older (i.e. the majority of the VIM's clientele), the pace of the nightlife is great. For younger people, I really think it will be a giant yawn. If you want something a bit more social and active but not in town, then look at Secrets Silversands. The age demographic there tends to be a bit younger and whilst I still don't think it'd be great for the 18-22 crowd, I think it'll be better than the VIM.

Another option might be to ditch the idea of adult only altogether and go for a family resort such at the Grand Palladium or even the Barcelo Maya (although I'm not a fan since they installed a dolphinarium there). The thing with adult only resorts is that their clientele is largely couples; it's just the nature of the beast. At family resorts, especially those that don't specifically target families with young children, you're more likely to get a mixed demographic and a rather more lively social and activity scene.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 18 - 22 year olds at VIM

We are in the majority as I will be 61 and my wife 59 this next time around in September. It really is a couples or a girls outing place. I agree that 18-20's singles will be bored. The Grand Palladium would be a better fit.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 18 - 22 year olds at VIM

Actually I'm going to slightly disagree & say that they might have a great time. We had a mix of ages w/ us on our 2nd trip to VIM ranging from 18 to 32 and we all had a great time. The younger 2 in the group (18 & 21 yrs old) were brother & sister. They are both responsible & mature and absolutely loved the Valentin. We'd dance in the plaza every night then wind down with a game of pool or listening to the DJ. They didn't go into it expecting foam parties or huge discos they might have a great time. I've always been 'mature' for my age but I would have personally loved VIM from my early teens on.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 18 - 22 year olds at VIM

I think that is the point right there: If the younger crowd is good with hanging with your group and making your own good time, then all should be fine.

However, if they are expecting to party with a bunch of people their age, then they will for sure be disappointed at the VIM.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 18 - 22 year olds at VIM

when we were there- there were lots of groups in their late 20s/early 30s who were 'whooping it up' like they were back in college. I would have loved VIM at 20....I think it really depends on the personality of the 'kids' in your group. It certainly wasn't a 'couples' resort like some other places we've been to where you can hear a pin drop at the pool and everyone whispers.

Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 18 - 22 year olds at VIM

i agree with kellieanddoug. I am in my mid 50's and wifey just hit 30. In our 3 visits, it seems that every time there is a younger crowd, The main pool "loud" side has activities going on. The vars are open late, but usually not much going on, except maybe karaoke or a fun game of billiards. If you do venture out, the cancun pub crawl is a grat idea, but you do not want them going unchaperoned!

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto